diaethria clymena

chapter fifteen: diaethria clymena

Y/N'S P.O.V.

A few minutes later, Kuroo returns empty-handed, yet still has that pie eater following him around. He looks a bit pissed, knowing I totally sent him into the store on a wild goose chase. Why, for god's sake, he must be thinking, would there ever be live crabs in a convenience store?

"Kuroo, who's your friend?" Bokuto asks once they return to the bus.

"His name's Kenma. Think it'll be alright if he stays with us for a while, Y/N? I've known him for a long time. He's trustworthy."

The other group members look at you, waiting for your answer. It's your bus so it is ultimately up to you. Kuroo got straight to the point, probably knowing that at least one person will have an objection.

"Sure, he can stay," you agree, "but only if he tells us where he got that pie I found inside. I know it was his 'cause it was still fresh!"

"There's none left," Kenma says as he looks straight at you, doing his best to show his sincerity. "I had a stash in there from awhile ago but that was the last one. It's all gone, I swear."

"Damn," you sigh. "Alright, whatever, let's go find Osamu his brother so we can get out of Monimiaceae and go back home."

The group agrees and huddles inside around the couch where Osamu turns on his new radio and flips through the channels. On one of the channels, you can hear chatter as if someone was already communicating on that line. Osamu listens carefully, his eyebrows knitting together so he can hear what's being said.

"Tsumu, where the hell -e you? You're supposed to -e back here by -ow. There wa- some group in - bus snooping --ound last night," the voice over the radio calls. Osamu's eyes darken.

"Chill out, -Na. Just get the --ck out -f there. I'll swing around --night and pick up --r stuff," a second voice replies.

"That's him," Osamu interrupts. "My brother."

"So he was at one of the places we searched," Tsukishima sighs. "How are we going to figure out which one?"

"I kind of doubt they were at the convenience store. There wouldn't be anywhere for anyone to hide," you suggest. "We were at the stadium all night so they couldn't be there. The only other large place was that high school gym. They've got to have their base somewhere in the school."

"Good thinking, Y/N. I agree," Kuroo nods. "We should go back there tonight when your brother goes to collect his stuff."

"It could be our last chance to catch them," Bokuto agrees.

"Okay then," Osamu nods. "We should stake out the school once it gets dark and wait for him to return."

"Fine with me," you smile.

By the time the sun has set behind the surrounding trees and buildings, you've got the bus hidden behind a set of garbage containers at the back of the school. Your group is now stepping out and running around to the front to wait for Osamu's brother.

"When do you think he'll be here?" Kuroo asks aloud.

"I'm new to this whole thing but it could probably be hours from now judging by what he said. That guy's brother probably wants to wait until he's sure we aren't here," Kenma speaks up for the first time since joining.

"He's right," you add. "We could be here for awhile. Should we take turns watching and let the rest of us sleep?"

"I like the sound of that," Bokuto nods as he sits back against the brick wall surrounding the school.

"I'll take first shift then," Osamu says, "in case he comes sooner rather than later to get his things. It's possible he might come grab his stuff and run out before we 'come back'."

"I'll stay up, too," you chime in. "Just in case."

With little hesitation from the other tired members of your group, you take your position in the dark beside Osamu, staring at the front of the school building while the others nap.

Osamu stays quiet the entire time. When you look over at him, you don't even see him blink. But about an hour into your shift, there's some noise. The sound of a motorcycle racing in your direction.

"Hear that?" Osamu asks.

"Yeah, it could be him."

Only a moment later, a black motorcycle pulls right into the bushes beside the front entrance of the school. A tall man jumps off and runs full speed into the school.

"It's him, let's go, Y/N!" Osamu calls to you as he already runs after his brother

"Come on!" you say as you shake the others. "He's here. Get up!"

"What, already?" asks Bokuto as you practically yank him up onto his feet.

"Yes! Let's go!"

"Kenma and I will go around to the back to make sure he doesn't weasel away!" Kuroo yells as the two of them make their departure.

"I'll run ahead of you, too," Tsukishima adds. "I'll give Osamu some backup in case something goes wrong."

You nod and off goes Tsukishima, leaving you alone with Bokuto once again. You feel a bit bad since poor Bokuto still uses crutches, but in his defense, he does move pretty quickly with them. However, by the time you reach the front entrance of the school, the doors burst open with Osamu and his brother facing your direction. When the two of them see you, they both stop in their tracks.

"Please, Tsumu, I'm serious. Join us. Look. He's injured and she has no weapons on her. We aren't going to hurt you!"

"Samu, I don't care about the girl or your stupid wish for us to be reunited," the brother, Atsumu, shouts as he stares straight at you and Bokuto. "There's no way in hell I'm joining your cursed group."

You look over at Bokuto, hoping maybe he could say something to get Atsumu to agree for Osamu's sake, but he stays perfectly still. Perhaps it's better to say nothing than to get in the middle of family business.

"Please, Tsumu. I want to find a way out of here. I came all this- we came all this way just for you!"

Atsumu scoffs as he walks up to you and Bokuto. "That true?" he asks the two of you.

"It was either that or he kills us," you smile nervously. Bokuto still remains silent.

"Hm?" Atsumu continues to press, almost breathing the same air as Bokuto who refuses to talk.

"It's true. We came all this way to find Osamu's missing brother," he finally replies, causing your nerves to settle a bit more.

"And why would the two of you care to find me?" he asks yet again.

"I already told you we were at gunpoint," you try to interrupt the awkward tension.

Atsumu glances at you for a fraction of a second before turning around and walking up to his brother. The two of them whisper for a while. You turn to Bokuto who looks almost shell-shocked, and ask, "Are you alright?"

"Fine," he nods. "I'm sorry, I don't really know what happened. I guess I know how Tsukki feels now when we get someone new in our group who we know nothing about. Kenma, at least, knows Kuroo so I can trust him but... did we ever fully trust Osamu enough to trust his brother, too?" he asks, thinking aloud.

"To be honest, he isn't my favorite. I still can't tell if he's a firefighter like he says he is, or some kind of trained assassin. Either way, if he wants his brother to stay, we don't have much of a choice in the matter," you respond.

"Think Atsumu's got a gun, too?" Bokuto then wonders as the two of you exchange a worried look.

"I hope not."