pugnam papilio

chapter forty six: pugnam papilio

OIKAWA'S P.O.V.

"Come on, let's go, Oikawa!" Hinata calls out to me as we lag behind the rest of the group. Bokuto is quite literally leading us toward a burning building and we're all following along like sheep.

"I'm coming!" I call out to Hinata as we race toward the fire.

When we get there, Hinata and I stop just outside the building. I realize it's an old automobile shop and wonder if this is the one Atsumu always used to talk about when we were in jail. Either way, as we wait for the others, they come out in mere seconds with a fancy-looking car.

Atsumu rolls down the window and grins when he sees us standing there. "Come on, get in! We gotta go before the whole place burns down!"

The two of us scramble inside, doing what we're told first and asking questions later. I'm still not sure how or why the building caught on fire, but what I do know is that about five miles down the road, the car we're driving gives out completely.

"Fuck!" Atsumu shouts. "What the hell was the point of doing this shit anyway?!"

"Will you just calm the fuck down?" Bokuto yells back. "We needed to get the fuck out of there before those cousin-loving fucks came after us. That one with the weirdass haircut scares me," he says, visibly shivering.

"Jesus, we're only in this whole fucking position because of you, Bo," Atsumu continues to shout dramatically as he gets out of the car and slams the door so hard the whole car shakes.

The next person out of the car isn't Bokuto, but the last member of our little prison family, Akaashi. He runs up to Atsumu and attempts to calm him down, but Atsumu isn't having it. He's been pissy ever since the outage happened, and I never really knew why.

When Bokuto gets out of the car, the whole situation escalates. The two of them begin to argue about the decision-making of the group.

"If you weren't such a fucking shitty leader, we wouldn't have to be running from those thugs, Bokuto!" Atsumu scoffs as Akaashi continues to separate the two of them.

"You think you're so much fucking better?" Bokuto rolls his eyes as a grin grows across his lips.

"You told me murder is what you were charged with, yeah? Serial murder, to be exact. Did nobody else know?" Atsumu responds loudly as he looks into the car at me and Hinata. "They have no fucking clue. You guys do know he killed his own fucking parents, right? Murdered 'em in their fucking sleep and he has absolutely no remorse! You still wanna follow this fucking piece of shit?!"

"That's enough," Akaashi attempts to intervene, getting right up in Atsumu's face.

"Don't you fucking start, you damn lapdog. I didn't even know you were here 'til I started hating on your prison wife."

"The fuck are you-"

"Move aside, Akaashi," Bokuto begins. That's when I realize what is about to go down is going to be serious. I grab onto Hinata's arm and practically yank him out the backside of the car.

"We've gotta get the fuck out of here, fast," I whisper quietly to him as the others shout back and forth on the other side of the car.

"What should we do?" Hinata asks me. "Run separate ways?"

"You go left, I go right."

Once Hinata and I agree, the two of us book it out of there. It's not until I reach the safety of a small alley just a little ways off, that I turn back and see Bokuto and Atsumu in a full-on fistfight. I watch as Atsumu aims straight for Bokuto's leg, practically breaking it in half before he gets his face and shoulder smashed in.

After that, I take off hoping never to see those crazy bastards again. However, about two months later, I do. Luckily, it's only Hinata- probably the only one I can stand being around any longer.

Hinata invites me to live with him for awhile and everything goes well most of the time. We do pretty well for ourselves- just the two of us. One night, we even come up with a pact, promising that if we ever run into any of the other guys again, we'll get the hell out of there as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, it was a promise that I broke the day I met you. Even though I knew Bokuto and Atsumu were there, I still stuck around. However, the moment you left I knew it was time for me to split, too.

"I'm sorry," I sigh as I look over at Y/N. Hinata is watching the two of us closely after what he just walked in on so I try to phrase everything a certain way. "I knew I should have said something before but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. I was fully aware of how fucking crazy he is, but I didn't do anything about it. You don't need to forgive me or anything, but I am really sorry for telling you so late."

"Shit," she curses to herself. I can tell she's having a hard time processing everything. It makes sense, but I just wish I knew what she was thinking. I may not say anything to her- now or quite honestly ever- but I do care about her. We may not have known each other for long but I care about her feelings and the opinion she has toward me.

Maybe shit is the right thing to say. Maybe I did fuck everything up and it's all too late to fix, but what else can I do at this point?

I watch as Y/N scratches her brain as she tries to put everything together. Hinata looks between the two of us, curious as to what's about to unfold next, and I just sit at the edge of my seat.

"You're right," she then sighs, "I know you are. It was him- Bokuto."