parasitus papilio

chapter thirty eight: parasitus papilio

The following morning your group eats breakfast in silence. Your small group has done nothing but shrink in the past two months and morale just seems to suffer more and more. While you eat, you notice Atsumu looking particularly upset. He keeps to himself the whole time and minds his business, only picking his head up a few times to glance over at you.

Once the meal is over, it's Lev and Osamu's turn to clean up, so the rest of the group silently scatters. As you're making your way back to your little shelter, you hear footsteps behind you. When you turn around, Atsumu stops and stands just a few feet behind you.

"Are you alright?" you ask with narrowing eyes.

"I'm fine," he says with a shake of his head. "Look, we need to talk."

"Okay," you shrug as you prepare for a conversation.

"Not right here," he says nervously. "Somewhere we can talk without being listened to."

"What do you suggest then?" you smile, thinking he's being a bit ridiculous.

"The forest. I'll explain on the way."

With another shrug from you, you begin to follow Atsumu into the small words outside your fenced-off enclosure. Just as you shut the gate behind you, he sighs and begins to speak.

"I'm sorry for making this weird, but I've held this in for too long," he begins to tell you. "I hope you don't hate me for the things I'm about to say. Some of it, not even 'Samu knows about."

"Did something happen?" you nervously ask, hoping he's not about to confess to a murder.

"No, it's nothing like that. There's just a few things I think you should know," he begins.

Shit, you think to yourself, if he confesses to murdering Tsukishima, I'm probably next.

The two of you start your walk into the woods. Luckily, it's bright outside so you can see where you are in case he tries anything. The two of you walk a little while until you come to a small clearing with a large log the two of you can sit on. As you sit down, Atsumu continues to explain why he's brought you out here.

"I didn't kill Tsukishima," he begins, causing a wave of relief to flood over you, "but to be perfectly honest, before I met you, I was in jail. Right before the outage, I was incarcerated. I got involved with a gang, but I never killed anyone. However, I just could never tell my brother the truth."

"What, you mean, he doesn't know you even went to jail?" you ask, surprised considering how close you thought the two of them were now that they've been reunited.

"Y/N, I can't do this anymore," he says as he bends over and runs his hands through his hair. "I can't pretend around him anymore. Jesus, fuck, I want to fucking kill someone so bad. I wish I could do it with my fucking bare hands to release the tension."

Immediately, you stand up and back away from him. "If that's what you brought me out here for, then sorry to disappoint but that's not going to happen."

"I don't want to kill you, Y/N. I meant someone specifically. But I just don't know if it's the right or wrong thing," he responds.

"Atsumu, what the fuck? How could it possibly be the right-"

"Because I know it was him! I fucking know he killed Tsukishima," he begins to shout like a madman. "I just can't prove it but I know, Y/N, and it fucking tears me apart!"

Atsumu then begins to break down in tears, and you just stand perfectly still, not sure what to do next. "Who?" you ask quietly. "Who killed him? Please, Atsumu, you've got to tell me."

Atsumu shakes his head as he sits up straight again. "I can't," he responds in a voice so quiet you can't tell if you actually heard him or just saw his lips move to form the words. He then reaches for something in his back pocket.

"You have Oikawa's gun, yeah? It's on you right now, isn't it? I don't think you've put it down since he got here. Even sleep with it under your side of the bed. Do you not trust Bokuto?" he laughs like an insane person.

"I'd choose your next words carefully, Tsumu," you warn him.

"Or what?" he sighs as he stands up. From behind his back, he pulls out his brother's gun. "I didn't do it, I swear. It wasn't me, you've gotta believe that. But I'm going to fucking kill you if you don't do it first."

"Atsumu..." you say with a dry mouth, unsure what to say to de-escalate the situation.

Tears still stream down his face as he cocks his gun. "I don't want to kill you. I can't do this anymore, Y/N. Please just fucking kill me."

"Why?" you respond weakly. "I don't understand why you're acting this way?"

"You will. Check the box where I kept my shoulder brace. I promise it'll answer whatever question you have about me," he tells you.

"And what about Tsukishima? Will that magically answer something about him, too?" you continue to press with narrowing eyes.

"No," he admits.

"Then I can't fucking kill you, Atsumu. I need to know!" you shout.

"Why? So you can sleep soundly with your little boyfriend every night? What do you want me to say, that it was Kuroo? Don't get me wrong, he was a douche sometimes, but the dude wasn't a fucking killer. If you don't want to kill me then fine, I'll just do it myself."

With that, Atsumu aims the muzzle of his gun directly at the side of his head. With one quick move of his finger and a loud noise that ensues, Atsumu hits the floor in a second. You shut your eyes and look away, but you eventually can't hold back your curiosity. You hope to yourself that he didn't actually go through with it, but when you see a puddle of blood just about reach your feet, you feel sick to your stomach knowing the answer. You take a few steps back, shaking your head in disbelief, before running straight back to camp.