feniseca tarquinius eruca

chapter forty: feniseca tarquinius eruca

OSAMU'S P.O.V.

Way before I met Y/N, when the world was normal, I was a volunteer firefighter like I told her. Though I'm sure nobody ever believed me when I said that, there's not much more that I can do than tell you my side of my life story.

Growing up, my brother was always my biggest rival. Though we'd fight, we'd quickly get over it and move on. We pushed each other to be the best we could be. And that is, well, until I no longer heard from him.

It was almost like he didn't want me to know anything about his life. Maybe it had to do with the reason why he went to jail, I'm not really sure. But it was like a switch was flipped. I went from seeing him almost every day to never hearing from him again. But I did what I thought was right, and let him be. Messages that were left on read were deleted and conversations were removed. I figured he wanted nothing to do with me, so I left it at that.

I still continued my life. I went to work every day like it was normal, but over time I became so tired of doing the same thing over and over. I began to feel as though a piece of me was missing. But I kept on going because putting out fires was the only way I could keep myself from going crazy.

"Yo," one of my coworkers whistles at me as he waves a hand in front of me. I had hardly forgotten I was eating my lunch in the breakroom. "What's up with you lately, man? It's like you're some kind of ghost."

"I'm sorry," I shake my head as I pack up my half-eaten sandwich. "I just got lost in my thoughts."

"Yeah, you do that a lot. Hey, what're you doin' after this? Wanna go out a grab a drink?"

"I don't know," I respond with a straight face as I shake my head.

"Well, what else are you gonna do? Work out for the hundredth time this week?" he laughs.

"That was the plan," I shrug as I place my sandwich into my lunch bag.

"Aw, come on. Let's go hang out tonight. Drink's on me." When my coworker grins like an idiot, I look up at him and see my brother staring back at me in his reflection. The two of them have a lot in common. Perhaps that's why I always sit down beside him even though he annoys the shit out of me a lot of times.

"Fine, fine. I'll go with you," I smile softly.

"Yes!" he shouts happily. "Thanks man, you won't- "

"As long as you buy me two," I interrupt before he gets too excited, holding up two fingers toward him. "Two drinks."

He laughs loudly at my comment before wrapping his arm around me and pulling me into his side. "You drive a hard bargain, Miya, but you've got yourself a deal."

Later that night, I go out with my coworker, Takumi, for drinks. He did end up buying me those two drinks that he offered, however, he got to choose what they were. And now that I'm two seriously strong drinks in, the two of us are laughing as though we've known each other our whole lives.

"So," Takumi hums as he holds up his third vodka drink, "you've been depressed for the past five months. I know that's when your brother stopped messaging you. I wasn't going to say anything at work but now that we're here it's time we talk about it."

"Listen, Ts- Takumi," I correct myself. "I'm not depressed. I just feel unmotivated sometimes."

"Well then get motivated," he replies with a stupid grin. "Your brother will come around when he's ready. You know that, right?"

"I don't know. I never know what he's thinking anymore."

"That's only 'cause you haven't talked to him. What you gotta do is let it go. There's nothing you can do about the past. If he contacts you, then that's great, but you can't stay in this funk for the rest of your life. You've gotta work on meeting new people who are good for you."

As much as I don't want to admit that he's right, it is true. Atsumu's always been the one to pull me out of situations like this and now that he's gone, I've let myself get progressively worse and worse.

After that discussion, I tried my best for the rest of the night to act like a normal person. I failed a few times at making some connections, but over time I got a bit better.

Just as I thought my life was beginning to improve, I was meeting new people and making good friends like Takumi encouraged me to, the outage happened. All I wanted was a new, honest like of happiness without being dependent on anyone else, but once it all happened, my first thought was to find my best friend- my brother.

It might have been overdramatic, my whole guns blazing thing when I met Y/N, but I had just fallen back into that pit of dependency.

Now that he's gone, I don't know what the hell my life is going to look like. Takumi might tell me that I've finally got the closure I was always searching for, but I don't even know what that means. Atsumu's gone. What kind of closure is that?

I'll never forget how overjoyed I was when I heard his voice over the radio for the first time. I knew it was Atsumu in an instant even though it had been so long since I had seen him.

Even though I knew my brother wasn't quite as excited to see me, it was strange how he behaved that night. It was almost like there was a reason he didn't want to be part of the group, and not for the reason I thought.

It was odd, I still remember him calling our group 'cursed'.