papilio hortus

chapter twenty: papilio hortus

The following morning you wake up to similar burn marks from the night before. However, it's now traveling up your arms as though the grown beneath your sleeping bag has been irritating you. You try not to let it bother you as you get up and march down to the lake to clean up the blood dripping down your arms. When you are on your way back to your campsite, Bokuto approaches you with his crutches.

"Y/N, Y/N, I know what happened!" he shouts like a crazy person as he hobbles quickly over to you.

"What do you mean? Did something happen?" you ask a bit confused. You had only woken up a few minutes ago.

"Yeah, yeah! I saw some deer hop your fence and run into the woods! Osamu gave me his gun. He says we can go catch 'em! I bet that's what happened to your strawberries!" he says excitedly.

"So you're saying you want to chase down some deer that may or may not have been the ones who ate my strawberries? I dunno... I don't think you're in the best condition for that either," you tell him hesitantly.

"It'll be fine," he assures you as he pulls the gun out from behind him. "Here, you take it so I can walk. C'Mon!"

Bokuto then walks off into the woods. Not wanting to leave him alone in there with the fear that he could fall and not be able to get back up, you follow after him. "How come you wanna do this right now?" you grumble at the thought of having breakfast before hunting down some imaginary deer.

"Think about it. Sooner we get it done, sooner we get the strawberries back!"

"Um, I'm not so sure that's how it works," you smile.

After a little while of walking, Bokuto takes a branch on a nearby tree stump. You lean up against the tree beside him and strap the gun around your shoulder.

"Did you really see some deer or are you just trying to send us out on a wild goose chase?" you then ask.

"Why would I do that?"

"I dunno. Maybe because you haven't been more than a few years away from the bus in several weeks?" you shrug.

"It's nothing like that, I promise. I just wanted to help, that's all. I always feel like I do nothing around here while you have your garden, Tsukishima and Kuroo have their fishing, and Osamu and Atsumu have... well... being here, I guess. I'm sorry if I made you feel weird with this whole outing," he sighs.

"That's okay," you reply as you look out into the grass for any animal to come along so your morning doesn't go to waste. However, you end up spending almost the entire day sitting there with Bokuto chatting and it isn't until your stomach grumbles that you both get up to head back to the bus.