Morphine - Part six

Meredith had woken up groggy. She noticed that she was still in the hospital and no one was around. Meredith slowly looked around the room, feeling her mind begin to take over. She could tell she was on something. She never felt this way before, she felt nothing.

"Hello?" She bellowed, scanning around the hallway.

"Hi, Meredith. My name is Tina," A nurse spoke sweetly, walking into the room "Your friends will be right back okay?" Meredith nodded and glanced over at her IV. Many fluids being pumped into her body.

"What happened?" Meredith muttered

"You don't remember?"

"N-No," She stammered. She saw Derek, Christina, and Lexie all walk in from behind the nurse. Meredith's eyes lit up when she saw Derek "Baby you're here!" She yelled, causing the three to stop in their spots, their eyes wide.

"Yes, we're here," Derek mumbled

"This is why I'm not around stoned people," Christina mumbled "How much did she get?"

"Christina," Meredith sighed looking over at her "You are the best friend in the entire universe."

"How long will it take to wear off?" Lexie asked looking over at the nurse.

"About thirty minutes, then we're gonna do a check-up and she should be good to go home in a few hours,"

"Sounds good to me,"

"So," Meredith spoke "What the hell happened to me? Why am I here?"

"You don't remember?" Derek asked, concerned as he walked over to her.

"Well duh, I remember!" She laughed "My dad happened!" She whispered over to Derek, the nurse was already gone by this point.

"Meredith, want anything?" Christina asked, halfway out of the room.

"Ice!" She yelled with excitement. She was pumping her fists in the air. Christina just sighed and continued. Lexie followed.

"Meredith," Derek sighed, taking ahold of her hand. She flinched, pulling it away. Before he could speak she cut him off.

"Derek no," She whispered "We won't work. I am too damaged. I'm nothing."

"Mer, that's not even where I was going. But let's talk about it when you're sober okay?" He asked her. Worry struck him. He couldn't help but think it was the truth. He didn't know much about morphine.

"Right," Meredith laughed. Derek just frowned and leaned back into his chair. Talking to this version of Meredith worried him. He had no clue what she'd say.

A few more minutes had passed and Lexie come back along with Christina. The morphine had begun to wear off. They could tell because she was less loopy and finally stopped rambling on about randomness. Another hint was, that she looked like she was in pain.

"Meredith?" Derek asked, gently taking her hand in his and leaning toward her. She groaned, grabbed her head, and looking over at him. Her bright green eyes mesmerized him.

"Derek," She choked "I feel awful."

"What's going on?" He asked, worry having struck him. She didn't answer, she just laid there and looked up at the ceiling. It seemed to be an after effect of the morphine.

Another few more minutes passed as everyone had gotten situated. Both doctors came in they looked neutral. They quickly asked to check her vital and overall health. After they did so, they talked with the four for a bit and let them know Meredith was okay and free to go home. Richard had stayed to talk to Meredith and after that told her to keep in touch.

"I-I don't want you two going back home," Derek addressed, looking between Lexie and Meredith.

"It's okay Derek, he let out his anger," Meredith muttered, getting up to go into the bathroom to change.

"Lexie?" Derek asked glancing over at her. She just shrugged and shook her head.

"He doesn't hurt me or yells at me. So," she spoke as she began to trail off. Christina spoke up.

"He might,"

"No, he won't," Meredith said from the bathroom. They could hear rustling noises and then the door clicked open "She's his favorite, he'd do nothing to harm Lexie."

"Then let's get the police involved," Derek exclaimed.

"No, please. I can deal with it. No police. I'll only make it worse!" Meredith rambled.

"Fine, then," Derek muttered, reaching in his pocket for his keys. When he found them they all began to head out of the hospital. Derek knew he had to do something, maybe tell his parents. But Meredith wouldn't let him she'd hate him. It would only be for a while though.

Derek had brought Christina home since her parents had begun worrying and she was a little shaken up by the situation. Then he'd brought Lexie and Meredith home. He made sure he was the first one in the house, waiting to get a handful of Thatcher's insults or worse.

"Meredith!" Thatcher yelled "Is that you?" He added, that he had a worry in his voice which was odd. They all watched as he waddled out from the living room. Tear stains on his face.

"What happened, dad?" Lexie asked. She watched as he walked over to Meredith and attempted a hug.

"I am so sorry. I-I don't know what happened," He stammered, Meredith, flinched as he flung out his hands to hug her. He looked like a mess. "Meredith, I understand. I hurt you very badly. You don't have to forgive me. But I'll be paying for your college and the medical bills." He continued.

"Thanks, Dad," Meredith spoke, trying to show no fear. Derek had his hand on her back, trying to comfort her.

Thatcher just nodded, giving them a soft smile and then disappearing to where he came from. The three just stood there shocked. They didn't know what happened. Thatcher was okay for once. But that didn't mean anything. He's an alcoholic, he could change at any given moment.

Derek and Meredith went up to her room. Derek had wanted to talk to her for a while, something had been bothering him. Meredith had quickly locked the door just in case Thatcher would come up. She was on edge but didn't want Derek to know.

"Was it something I said while I was on morphine?" She asked, sitting down on her bed. Derek followed.

"Yeah, you said we wouldn't work," Derek spoke. Meredith frowned, looking down at the floor. A small sigh escaped her lips. Derek continued "You said because you're nothing and that you are broken."

"Derek,"

"No," He whispered "You may be broken, but you're most certainly nothing. Let me help you, just-just give me a chance. I love you so much."

Meredith couldn't believe the words that were coming from his lips. She loved him too but didn't know if she was ready. Meredith looked him in the eyes for a few more seconds before saying anything. She felt his hand gently take hers. Tears became to form in her eyes.

"Say it again," She mumbled "please."

"I love you," He spoke, in a more upbeat tone. He gave her a smile that instantly turned her into mush. She did love him back and she did want to be his.

"Derek, I'm scared,"

"Okay," He spoke, his eyes still on hers. He understood, he didn't want to push her any more than he did "How about this, I wait for you and you tell me when you're ready?"

All Meredith did was nod and smile at him back. Before anything else was said. Derek's phone went off, it was an old friend named Mark. Derek sighed, sending the call to voicemail. He looked back over to Meredith who made his heart melt.

"That was Mark," Derek spoke just as he got a text message, he smiled and looked back up "Wanna go to a party Friday?"

"Sure," Meredith chuckled.