Part eight - Carolyn

I had to change a few things around, I wasn't thinking. I'm sorry. This takes place the next day :)

Meredith had woken up in Derek's room, tucked under his blankets. She looked around the room and noticed the note Derek had given her. Damn. She was surprised he didn't stay in the room. Meredith looked over at the clock, it said 9:00 am. Way past the time she needed to get up for school. Worried, Meredith jumped up from the bed and began to speedwalk. She quickly fell. Her body ached and her head throbbed. Footsteps were heard, followed by a soft knock and a feminine voice. It was Carolyn. 

"Meredith?" She spoke softly "Are you okay?" By this time Meredith had already gotten up and began to walk toward the door. Feeling as if her entire body was sore.

"I'm okay," Meredith muttered opening the door, she gave her a soft smile as she spoke, "Just a little sore to be honest." 

"You look terrible Meredith," She sighed, bringing her into a hug "Come downstairs and I will make you some breakfast alright?" 

"Why didn't anyone wake me?" Meredith asked as she began to follow her down the stairs.

"You've been through a lot so Derek wanted you to rest, plus its Saturday!" Carolyn responded as the two reached the end of the stairs "He'll be back soon don't worry dear. We'll have a girl's day." 

"You don't have work?" 

"Day off," Carolyn spoke as she got into the fridge and looked around "Oh! Looks like we have some really old cheese." She looked over at Meredith who was now sitting on the island with a small smile on her face. 

"Nice," Meredith chuckled "Derek?" 

"Yep," She responded and pulled out a carton of eggs. "What sounds good, Pancakes or waffles?" 

"Waffles, definitely waffles." 

Carolyn began to make the waffles, adding blueberries to them. She made waffles just as good as a chef would at some fancy restaurant. After a few minutes of making, Carolyn turned to Meredith with a question on her mind. Well, she had many. She was a very curious mom. 

"You don't have to answer Meredith," She began. Meredith froze, wondering what she'd say. Was it going to be good or bad? "What was your father like before your mother passed?" 

"Um," Meredith began, unsure of what to say. " I can't really remember. He was maybe a little nicer than now. Thatcher didn't drink as much." 

"So he was always like this?" 

"Basically. But he never would hit until now." 

"Hit!?!" Carolyn spoke her voice rose loudly, it made Meredith jump from her spot. Carolyn was only worried, rather than angry. "Derek told me your ex had beaten you up not your father." 

"I-I thought that's why you asked," Meredith stammered. 

"You're never setting foot in that house again Meredith," Carolyn spoke, turning to check on the waffles. She couldn't help but let one tear fall from her cheek. She felt terrible, how could she have never known her father was abusive? Carolyn wiped her face, in hopes Meredith didn't see. 

"You wouldn't have known, I was too good at hiding it. My mother was too," Meredith spoke. She did notice the one tear that began to fall and how she quickly tried t wipe it off 

"Meredith," Carolyn sighed setting a waffle on the plate and setting it in front of her "We're definitely having a girl's day." 

"The whole bang? You know, nail painting, face masks, and all the girly things?" 

"Yes and we're gonna talk,"

The two began to eat, the silence was comfortable enough to the point where no one had said a word until they were done eating. Meredith sighed as she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket, she looked at it. It was Derek, he was wondering if she was okay. She texted back, letting him know his mom and her would be having a girl's day. Derek had responded with a smiley face and had let her know he'd see her soon and that he'd been worried about her. 

"Derek?" Carolyn spoke, watching as Meredith blushed and gave her a small nod "You've known him your entire life, how do you not know how much he's in love with you?" 

"I-I know," Meredith stammered, looking at her hands "I'm just a little scared. I can't lose him." 

"Meredith I don't think you will," She reassured "Talk to him, tell him how you feel."

"I could,"

After that, they began to clean up the kitchen and thought of something fun to do. To try and make Meredith just a little bit happier. They both started watching Medical documentaries and Carolyn stoping it and showed her the good parts as well as teaching her. Just like her mom used to. 

Meredith remembers as far back as she could, Carolyn and her mom being best friends. Her mom a heart surgeon and Carolyn her mom's scrub nurse. They were so close that their kids had been close as they got older. Meredith missed that, she missed her mom. Maybe having Carolyn there would help fill the void, of course not replace her.