Just friends part two - Chapter twelve

Meredith stood there frozen, her eyes welling up with tears. No one had said that to her since her mom died. Meredith didn't know what to say, she just stood there looking back at him. His eyes glossed over when she didn't say anything. 

Unexpectedly, Meredith hugged him. He wasn't surprised when she hugged him but didn't say a word, it scared him. She broke out into a sob as he hugged her back. Derek realized that she was overwhelmed with emotions, first, it was her and now Derek was convincing his love for her.

"It's okay," Derek whispered, "you're safe with us." He spoke, trying to comfort her.

The others joined in the hug, The three on the verge of tears as well. They all could hear the door knob then begin to turn and rattle. They all froze, only to hear silence moments later. Then a soft knock at the door from outside. 

Derek left the hug to see what it was, he calmly walked to the door and opened it to reveal police officers. They looked concerned. There were two, one had a note pad and the other had his arms on his hips. They both looked just as tough. One was shorter than the other. 

"We will take him into custody for a few days," One of them spoke, giving Derek a small nod, and began on their way.

"Wait," Derek stammered, following them "Why only a few nights?"

"We only have so much evidence," The other police officer spoke, giving him a small frown. He looked sad for him.

"I-I can show you evidence!" Derek spoke, continuing to follow the officers.

"Look kid, there's only so much we can do right now," The man spoke, his voice almost growling as he said it "If he comes back, we'll place him on hold."

"Right," Derek mumbled and turned back toward the house, he felt awful. He didn't want Meredith and Lexie to be scared anymore.

Meredith and Lexie had been sitting on the couch when Derek had come back in, they both had tear-stained faces and their eyes were focused on the tv. Amelia and Carolyn were in the kitchen, he could tell by listening in on their conversation about the girls.

"Hey," Derek whispered, gently caressing Meredith's shoulder "He'll be in custody for a while."

"H-How long?" Lexie stammered looking up at Derek. She looked nervous, as well as scared.

"They said a few days,"

"Seriously," Lexie sighed, she glanced between Meredith and Derek. Seeing her older sister frozen and not speaking.

"Meredith?" Derek asked, gently shaking her shoulder. She snapped out of her daze and looked at the two. Her emotions still overwhelmed her. "Is everything okay?"

Yeah, I'm fine. Her voice rang, but instead, she said something else. Something she'd thought she'd never say. Meredith hated telling people how she was feeling.

"No," Meredith mumbled, getting up from her spot "I'm not okay. I-I need some fresh air." She added, walking away from the two.

"Want me to come with you?" Derek asked, walking behind her. She froze, reminding what he told her. It was still on her mind. She just didn't know what to say back.

"No, I'm just gonna go for a run alright?" She spoke, slipping on her converse.

"Be safe," Derek mumbled, giving her a small smile.

"Will do," she muttered before leaving, closing the door from behind.

An hour had passed since she left, and it worried Derek and the others. Derek sat by the door after another thirty minutes had passed. She still hadn't come back, and it worried him. So he sat there and waited. Then another thirty minutes went by and she finally came back. 

Meredith had come back drenched in sweat, her hair tied in a ponytail and her face red as a fire truck. Derek sighed getting up from the floor, he looked at her with a worried look on his face. He noticed how exhausted she was, how beaten down she was. She was tired, tired of Thatcher, tired of everything that was happening in her life. 

"Hey, look," Meredith sighed as she took off her shoes, she tried to catch her breath. "I'm sorry if I worried you, I just needed to think. Please don't be mad at me." 

"You have nothing to apologize for Meredith and I'm not mad. Just worried about you," He sighed 

"I'd give you a hug, but I'm a little sweaty." Meredith laughed, passing him to go up the stairs. He followed close behind. 

"Want me to get the shower ready?" Derek asked, now walking in front of her. 

"You don't have to," She muttered, walking into his room and grabbing some clothes from her bag. 

"I-I wanted to offer," He stammered, watching as she disappeared into the hallway. 

Thirty minutes had passed and he could tell that she was out, because he could hear her voice. She and Lexie had been talking in the hallway. Since the door was open he could hear what they were talking about. It started with talking about Thatcher and how Lexie was terrified he'd come back and Meredith reassuring her that everything would turn out okay. But he could tell by Meredith's voice that she didn't believe what she was saying. 

Then they started talking about Derek, their voices growing quiet as they talked. He could only hear Meredith say that she wasn't sure and she'd have to talk to Derek. The conversation ended after a minute or two had passed and he could hear Meredith walking down the hallway. The floorboards creaked as she walked in. 

"Hey," Derek whispered his book in his hands as he leaned against the headboard. "Wanna talk?" He watched as she closed the door behind her and sat next to him. 

"Derek," She muttered, she looked up at him her eyes looked into his. It was too soon, she couldn't. "You're my best friend." 

"I understand, you don't feel that way," Derek spoke. His voice was soft and understanding. "Just remember that I love you okay?" 

"Y-Yeah," She stammered, giving him a small smile and heading out of the room. Those were the last words he heard from her that night. She had fled into the guest room for the night. They all had school the next morning.