7 What just happened?

The next morning he woke up. He sat up in the couch to the sounds of sizzling.

Jolyne was in the kitchen cooking breakfast. She sung, "Good morning, Dad!"

He reached to the side and grabbed his hat to put on. He muttered, "Good morning." He was glad to see her chipper in the morning, no matter how noisy it was.

After washing up, he came back to the kitchen area.

Jolyne was at couch eating. She said, "Your plate is on the counter."

He saw the plate, seeing that it was piled high. He was surprised at how much was up there.

She said, "You looked like you slimmed up a bit. You should eat more."

He stayed in the kitchen and ate.

Jolyne asked, "Hey, Dad. What were out so late for?"

Jotaro continued eating as he placed a hand in his pocket. He gave himself time to think of an answer. He didn't expect her to jump right into the questions so early in the morning. He said, "I was talking to someone."

"Ah," she said. "Was it one of those work things?"

"...sure." He didn't like lying to her, but he didn't want to tell her his business. He didn't say anything else. He still felt tense.

There was a knock at his door, giving him an out. He walked to the door and opened it to find Kakyoin. "Nori."

Yeah, this situation wasn't any better.

"Yeah," he said. He seemed a bit hesitant and nervous. "Hey, Jojo, can we talk for a bit?"

"Is something wrong?"

"Did you... You saw my text, right?"

"Yeah," Jotaro said. "I guess I should've responded. Sorry about that." He pulled his hat down to shield his eyes.

"That's not the problem," he said. "It's the fact that... last night I heard some things I shouldn't have, that confirmed my suspicions. But I heard a lot more. I'm just wondering, why do you sleep with other men when you are calling my name?"

Blank. That was his mind at the moment.

What did he just say?

He what?

"Jojo," Kakyoin continued. "I-." His eyes glanced behind Jotaro. "Fuck." He glanced back at Jotaro alarmed.

Right.

Wait.

What just happened? Too much was happening. So much running away from problems when they were hunting him down. No one was pulling punches this morning.

Oh right, Jolyne.

Jotaro pinched the bridge of his nose and exhaled.

What in this world has this come to?

"How about we talk about this in private?" Kakyoin said, quietly. "Sorry. I didn't know she was here."

He said demoralized, "Does it even matter? We have nothing to talk about anyways."

"But what about your feelings towards me, Jotaro?"

"How did you-?"

"You weren't exactly quiet last night."

Jotaro shrunk back as Kakyoin stood in contempt. He didn't want anything to do with this conversation. He just wanted Kakyoin to talk about his day or something. Anything but this!

"Look, Jojo," Kakyoin called, softening his tone. "Whatever is going on with you is your business, but you don't need to be with... Others. It's okay to have feelings for me."