11 Patience

*Trigger warning: Suicide ideation*

In less than a day, Jotaro and Jolyne were moved into Kakyoin's home.

The house was quite big. It had two floors and enough bedrooms for the three of them to have their own.

It was evening now. Jotaro was exhausted after the emotions he just went through. Polnareff and Avdol went back to the hotel they were staying at. He was thankful for their help, but he had mixed feelings. He didn't want them involved, but he knew that they had his best interests in mind.

Jotaro was currently at the beach sitting. He was sitting close enough to edge of the water for it to reach his feet, when the waves came in. He stared out at the sun that was just below the horizon.

It felt like something was missing.

He felt empty.

The fresh, salty air didn't give him that feeling of serenity like it used to. The cool water on his feet felt numb. The gentle wind was muffled.

He sighed. Normally, he could've chase the feeling of warmth and pleasure if he was back at the dorms. But now, he couldn't.

He dragged his hand through the sand. The rough sand was gritty.

"It's getting late."

Jotaro looked to the source of the voice to find Kakyoin. He muttered, "It's probably 8 or 9."

Kakyoin said, "It can get cold. I don't want you to get sick."

So what? He didn't say what he thought. He only exhaled.

"Come on," Kakyoin said. "You don't want to worry Jolyne."

He didn't.

Jotaro sighed and stood up. He began walking back to the house.

Kakyoin followed him in.

Jotaro let his mind wander until he found himself in the living room with Jolyne. He sat down on the couch adjacent to her. He looked over at her.

Jolyne was on her phone. She seemed melancholy. When she noticed her father looking at her, she wiped that sad look off her face. "Hey," she said, obviously trying to hide her sadness. "How was the beach?"

Jotaro didn't want to lie. He felt nothing. He didn't want to disappoint her when the purpose of him staying here was to get better. He looked away. "Are you okay?" He tried changing the subject, albeit rashly.

"Hunh?"

He glanced down at her phone and pointed at it.

"Oh," she sighed. "Right." She sat her phone down on her lap. "I was just texting Hermes. She is still insisting on just being friends." She was clearly hurt from that.

Jotaro wasn't sure what to say. He didn't like seeing her that way. Of course, he wanted the best for his daughter, but what could he do? He wasn't sure what to say. The only thing he could think of saying was "... Sorry."

"Yeah," she replied quietly.

They just sat in the silence. Neither really knew what to do. They both had their own problems, but they wished they could help each other.

The first one to speak up after about ten minutes was Jotaro. He asked, "Is there something I can help you with?"
He was tired of being the useless father he was. He really wanted to just disappear along with his problems.

But he worried and cared for his daughter.

Jolyne replied, "Not really."

"Sorry," he muttered. All he did was care about himself instead of his own daughter. How selfish! He swallowed. All this selfish attempts of trying to stop the emptiness... He was so disgusting. He was just wasting her time. Without another word, he stood up and walked out of the room. He went upstairs to his temporary bedroom.