The Task

I was not prepared for this. 

Or will I ever be, in my lifetime. 

I stayed silent while I sat outside the school's headmaster, patiently waiting for what is to come. It's been bright noon for me, too early to call it afternoon, but the amount of sunlight that the time between ten AM to twelve in the noon makes Oviedo far more beautiful than how it used to be in the morning. The day is just starting, but the fear surrounding my chest while I'm waiting to start silently in my seat just ruins the view I'm seeing outside. 

I had a flashback of what could possibly go wrong. My recent exam results for my language and literature major, being a new exchange student from Manila, may have possibly didn't met the requirements that the University of Oviedo requires for such. I knew it was a mistake to sightsee the city that other day last week when I could have just spent it studying. All the regrets that come with the happiness of finally seeing a country other than mine came flooding at me, and I was praying on top of my head that I could still stay here and finish the program so I could go home with something I can be proud of. 

I was lost in thoughts when a sharp sound from the office door disturbed my silence, and I look up and warily smiled at my Professor, Senior Gallantes. The sight of him not smiling, worsen my fear, and I absent-mindedly followed him when he coaxed me to get inside the office to meet the headmaster of the school for exchange students.

Inside, I was greeted with the cordial nod of the headmaster, Senior Malvar. Another professor on the side, Seniora McMillan, slightly smile at me as a sign of acknowledging my presence in the room. I sort of stared at them for a few seconds, and Senior Malvar chuckles at the sight of me nervously. 

"Relajate, Seniorita Phillipa," (Relax, Philippa.) "No te vamos a hacer daño." (TL: We're not going to harm you."

He coaxed me to sit on the nearest chair. 

I maintained my wary smile and thank them, and listen to Seniora McMillan start discussing my exam results. 

"Well, to put things ahead right away, Philippa's exam results and proficiency level at the time are of the highest recommendation for this assignment, considering it's her first month staying with us." Seniora McMillan smiles at me, followed by a nod by Senior Gallantes. I started feeling elevated by relief, but the following words spoken by Senior Malvar caught me in my reality.

"Senior Gallantes states that your essay on the relationship between Spain and your country, the Philippines, is of excellent point and view, and it's even better than some articles posted in the newspapers we see now and then." Senior Malvar said in clipped, clear English. "Having said this, I'd like to give you a task that I'm sure you'll never forget for the rest of your life." 

I frowned at my seat, confused about what he was referring to. Alright, I passed the exam, but what is this? I remembered that essay, but what does that have to do with what he's talking about? 

"Hace una semana, alguien de la posición más alta nos pidió que elijamos tres artículos de nuestros nuevos estudiantes de intercambio para ser presentados a alguien en una posición más alta en el parlamento. Proporcionamos el suyo, como uno de ellos." Senior Malvar said. 

(TL: "A week ago, someone from a higher position asks us to choose three articles from our new exchange students to be submitted to someone in a higher position within the parliament. We provided yours, as one of them.")

"I'm sorry?" I whispered. "Perdon, senior, no te intiendo claro..."
(TL: Sorry, sir, I'm not understanding you clearly.")

Senior Malvar smirked. "I know you can understand me, but I'll give it to you in English." He stood up from his desk, and fix his suit. "We provided yours as one of the articles, and today, someone picked your article as the best. Today I was also informed that whomever article was picked will be given the task to help the person with her speeches in the future."

"And?" 

"Seniora McMillan praises your writing ability. It has depth, it has clarity, it has color, even if you can't see it in the paper."

Seniora McMillan nods in agreement.

"I believe these are the features that the tasks is requiring - your knowledge of writing. You're going to help the future queen perfect her speeches for her royal engagements for the next three months."

Senior Gallantes finally smiled at me, and I felt my jaw drop in confusion.

Senior Malvar proudly smiled at me. 

"I hope you brought your best suits, Seniora Phillipa." Senior Malvar paced the room and halted to say the words I never expected I would hear in this life of mine. "Tonight, mi hija, you're going to meet the Princess of Asturias, Princess Leonor."