A Heart's Irony

Oviedo University

Phillipa

"What's that all about?"

I descended the small stairs extending from the main building and the library - and saw Josie, waiting; standing in front of me, her arms folded in her chest. We were at the school grounds, and I just bid goodbye to the Princess.

Due to security reasons, Aurelia had Leonor exiting the university on its back exit, rather than the main entrance and exit upfront.

It was a few minutes after that somewhat unintended confession of jealousy over the Prince of Denmark and hers to Josie - that we decided we could call it a day, and not knowing when will I see the princess again, I remembered taking our last few minutes alone just keep on holding hands across the table, while she was reading out her speech out loud and I was reading its copy.

We never let go, at least - I don't want to let go. It feels sweet, yet inappropriate, but I didn't question it, and neither does Leonor. We simply just held hands, without giving it meaning, thought, or much attention - it just happened.

It just felt right.

At the memory of those few last minutes, I zoned out a bit, not realizing Josie was asking me again.

I focus my stare on her.

"Phillipa, what's that all about?" She then reiterated, her eyes glistening with concern and a bit of impatient.

As I stare at her, the memory of her saying those things to Leonor came back into my mind, and I was not able to hide the disappointment I felt by giving her a glance, and silently walking past her.

"When are you going to tell me that you've been hanging out with the princess?" She whispered, walking by my side.

I slowed my walk, giving her a sideways glance. "I'm not allowed to talk about it to anyone." I felt bad about not telling her about any of this, but I had an agreement with the headmaster.

"Is this some kind of a secret thing?" She contorts, still walking. Her voice is somehow high-pitched, somehow breaking through these words. "All this time, you never mentioned it. I don't know, I kinda feel bad knowing we've shared most of our time together here in school."

I let out a sigh. "I'm sorry." The last thing I want to do right now is to argue with her.

"¿Alguien en la escuela lo sabe? ¿O soy el primero?" (TL: "Does anyone in the school know? Or am I the first?") She then asked.

I shake my head, still walking. We were exiting the university. "You're the first one in the school to have seen us together."

Josie scoffs. She paused, then tried to keep up with my walk. "How long, Phillipa?"

"That is all that I can confirm about this," I said in a flat voice. I keep on walking, heading to the dormitory.

She trotted and put herself in front of me as a way to stop me. She was looking at me directly, her blue eyes filled with confusion.

"Cuanto tiempo?" (TL: "How long?") She repeated.

I met her stares. The gnawing feeling of guilt as the memory of the play day flash back in my head, fearing that she'd feel worse than she does now if I came clean with the truth.

I opened my mouth to say something, but no words came out. She sighs, and full-on watch as my expression drops.

"You've known her before the play?" Her voice croaked.