Crossed Stars Align

Palacio De Cristal

Buen El Retiro Park

Madrid, Spain

Phillipa 

I have been waiting.

I looked around one more time at my watch and saw that it's been half an hour after the clock strikes its course past five in the afternoon. 

I leaned into the grated barrier overlooking the park, from the inside view of the Palacio De Cristal, seeing through the fountain, watching for any sign of Leonor. I know that in hindsight, I can see her but thinking she may be disguised or not and be recognized by the passersby makes me rethink how crazy this whole invitation I made.

I'm going out of my mind, I'm being unreasonable, and unrealistic, but I won't regret that left that letter. Whatever her decision will be, I'd respect it, but my heart is betraying my mind. My heart is still aching for the tiniest chance that she may appear here.

I looked at my wristwatch once again and silently swore at the sight of the clock speeding up to a quarter to six in the evening. I look around the glass palace, double-checking for any sign of the princess among the few onlookers around the area. 

As the early twilight looms over the whole park, and the sky starts to dim, I hang my head in resignation, my arms leaning towards the metal sill separating me from the outside of the palace.

I sigh. I closed my eyes.

I shouldn't have hoped for this at all.

Reluctantly, I leaned back away from the metal sill. Looking around one last time, I ended up looking at the setting sun, wondering if she was watching it, too, from her palace.

I gathered myself and started walking down the glass palace, and descended the stairs.

The passersby were starting to empty by the minute as I walked out through the glass palace, and the noise of the park softened as I headed over to the back exit. 

I was walking and walking, my mind was reminiscing the days, the months, her eyes, her smile, her eyes--

A figure coming across my way walks through me, just a large wing of the palace hiding us from everyone, and for a split moment, our eyes met. 

Underneath the cap and the mask, my world ceased to exist as I looked into them, so my walk slowed.

Those eyes.

I gasped, and recognizing those blue eyes of hers I abruptly turn back and stopped, and when I finally realized it was her along with an overwhelming feeling weakening my heart by the minute, I walked right into her direction and welcomed her to my arms and held on tight to her, my eyes closed, finally feeling her warmth.

Leonor 

Leonor cries in silence as Phillipa wound her arms around her, and in between breathing thanking God they were here, together, finally; at last. 

Not caring about what the passersby might think, should they recognize her; she continues to hold on to the writer's embrace, committing this to memory, inhaling the scent of a first love's warmth.