XIII

Von
3am

I zipped up my bag after selling the last of my supply.

Aye yo Von check it out! Rico yelled as he leaned on the hood of his car while motioning his phone towards me.

An unknown number was messaging Rico talking about how there watching our every move & planning on taking us out when we least expect it.

Me & Rico looked at each other then looked behind us & saw an all black Charger driving towards us with the bright headlights on blinding us.

Get in the car! Rico demanded as I stared at the car that was starting to speed up now.

Oh Shit! I yelled while swinging the car door open & hoping into the passenger seat as Rico hit the gas.

*GUN SHOTS*

I lifted my head up after ducking once I heard gunshots & seen blood gushing out of Rico's head,

Rico, your gonna be okay! Just stay with me! I panicked while seeing the black charger speed off into an alley.

I lifted Rico's unconscious body onto the passenger's seat as I got into the drivers seat. As I drove fast to the hospital all I could pay attention to was the blood that stained on my hands & now the steering wheel.

I heavily stepped on the breaks as I approached the Emergency.

I opened the passenger door & carried Rico into the Emergency doors . The receptionist & Nurses yelled for medical attention.

Before I knew it Rico was now on an Hospital bed with a breathing machine & different tubes hooked up to him.

As I sat in the waiting chair for 2 hours the only news I got was "Your friend has died" .

My heart sank but no tears formed. I looked into the doctors eyes as if I was lost & didn't understand what he was telling me.

I banged on Essence door at 6 in the morning after coming back from the hospital.

I kneeled down & began holding onto her waist as tears finally left my eyes.

She held onto me & became speechless.

Rico Died... I spoke as she wiped the lone tear from my eye.

I'm sorry baby. She responded while hugging me tight.

It could've been you Von... She began tearing up while looking me into my eyes.

I gotta get out this drug game...ion know how but I got to. I stood up while pacing around the living room.

Von I pray for you every night especially when your out in them streets. Essence sat down on the couch as she looked down at the carpet.

Why pray only for me? I asked while observing her.

I feel your the most I worry about these days... I don't want to lose you. A tear fell from Essence eyes.

You won't Essence, I'm gone get right...I'm going to stop living this lifestyle. I want better for the both of us that's the only reason why I even started selling. Thinking that fast money is the best money. I expressed while grabbing her hand to hold.

I placed Essence a kiss on her forehead. As I observed her forming a prayer hand.

Let's pray together. I grabbed both of her soft delicate hands gently.

Essence nodded her head in agreement as she closed her eyes.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil... Lord I trust you to direct me to the right paths of life even when I am lost. I prayed while Essence held my hand & listened.

Amen🙏🏽 Me & Essence said aloud in unison.

My phone started to vibrate with cain's incoming call. I looked at Essence & then picked up the phone call.

Yoo. I spoke through the phone.

I heard about what happened with Rico & My condolences but i need yo ass to be back sellin tonight. Cain spoke sternly.

Nah, I'm out, if anything I was suppose to be the one who died tonight but God spared me.

Stop acting like a bitch wit all that emotional shit, it's all about this money nothing else! Cain raised his voice through the phone.

I'm out Bitch! I Raised my voice back while flaring my nostrils.

Wrong answer nigga, Jus know you gone be the next Rico before you can see the next morning. Cain spoke sternly while ending the call.

Fuck! I yelled while pacing around the living room again.

What happened!? Essence panicked

Start packing your stuff, we gotta go! I demanded while pulling out my phone to call my brother.

Devon bro I gotta lot of heat on me & I gotta get outta State ASAP!

I already know, i heard that Cain got information on where yo girl stay. Devon said seriously.

Where he get it from!? I asked in shocked

Some nigga name Andre. Devon said

Damn I should of took him out when I had the chance! I spoke angrily.

I'm Glad Cain & his people don't know where Mom stay & don't know my place. Devon stated

That's good I think me & Ess gone have to crash at your place for a while.

Aight just make sure you ain't being followed. Devon spoke.

Fasho , I'll talk to you soon.

I walked in the room to see Essence crying while packing her suit case.

They must know where I live Huh? Essence looked at me with sad eyes.

Yea..I'm sorry ma, I'm get us a big crib so don't even worry about it.

What about my Shop...Essence cried harder.

They don't know about your shop. You can still keep it open just have some people work in it for you while we're gone.

Von just get out my face right now. Essence pushed me away which made me back out the room door.

Calm down, I'm get everything situated...I just got a couple of phone calls I need to make—. Before I could continue on my words she slammed the door in my face.

I licked my lips angrily as I walked away from the door frame.

prayer
/prer/

a solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God or an object of worship.
"I'll say a prayer for him"