Chapter Fourteen

I watch patiently as Isaac slams his head on my dinky desk repeatedly. Over and over and over again. He's done this at least ten times today and I'm surprised it hasn't collapsed yet.

All three of us had decided to come together and revise and for some reason we chose my house.

"I. AM. SO. STUPID!" Isaac groans loudly, banging his head in between words.

"Are you done?" Ezra asks him.

"Not yet." He shushes him by holding up a finger before turning his head to glare at the textbook. "DIE STUPID! I WILL KILL WHOEVER INVENTED MATHS!"

"Pretty sure he's already dead." I smile a little, finding his struggle somewhat funny.

Isaac then shoots me a glare before screaming at the poor book again. Suddenly he stops and looks up at me expectantly.

"You done now?"

"Yes."

"Good." I say blankly. "We have work to do."

"Revision is so boring though." He complains for like for seventh time.

"You realise that we didn't force you to be here?" Ezra looks up from his textbook.

Isaac stares between us and frowns. "But if I didn't come I would've been on my own."

"I thought your brother was coming home." Ezra shrugs and my mouth falls open.

"You have a brother?" I gape at him.

Isaac just rolls his eyes and mumbles something about his brother being a bitch before he looks back at his work.

After a few more minutes of studying, I realise the boys don't seem to be as into it as I am and they've started to pass time by playing naughts and crosses.

Even though Ezra and I have an exam next week I feel bad for having them sit here for hours.

"Okay let's take a break." I suggest closing my book.

They both look up from their game and Ezra raises a questioning eyebrow at me. "Are you done?"

"No." I shake my head. "But I just feel like we should do something else. You guys must be bored."

"Are you sure?" He looks me deep in the eyes and it makes me turn away.

"It's not a big deal." I stand up.

They both stand up and grab their coats. I tell them I'll meet them downstairs and I pull out my phone to facetime my mum.  She answers the phone after two rings and I smile. 

"Hi Mum."

"Hey baby." She says. "Are you okay?" 

"Yeah I'm fine. How's Jamaica?" 

"Its alright. Too busy for me though. What you up to?"

"Oh. Uh my friends are waiting for me down stairs." 

"Them two boys?" She asks and I nod. "Tonoya, you cant be having these boys in your room. I don't even think its a good idea that you're friends with them."

"But why?" I ask. "You do realise that I have no other friends. They're literally the only people who like me." 

"And you never thought to ask yourself why?" Mum shakes her head at me. "Tonoya you are a smart girl, use your brain man." 

"Why are you so hell bent on trying to convince me that everyone is trying to use me?" 

She kisses her teeth at me. "Because they are, Tonoya. Ain't nobody want nothing to do with you unless you have something to give them."

My mouth moves to say something but she hangs the call up on me and I'm left staring at my call log. I grab a pillow from my bed and scream into it a few times. The tears fall from my cheeks and I don't even have the energy to stop them. 

After a minute or two I wipe my eyes and grab my jacket so I can head downstairs. I find Ezra and Isaac on the couch, watching tv and i cough. Both of them quickly turn their heads to look at me and I force a smile. 

"Let's go." 

They follow me out the door and Isaac taps me on the shoulder. 

"Not trying to question your planning skills but where are we actually going?" 

"Not sure." I say truthfully. 

"Right." He nods his head. "Yep that sounds great." 

We pause from walking and turn to Ezra. We don't say anything and he stares back at us blankly. 

"What?" He rolls his eyes. 

"Come on, give us somewhere to go." Isaac complains. 

"Fine." Ezra sighs. "We could go out to eat." 

"YES!" Isaac calls out triumphantly. 

We find a small Indian restaurant a couple of roads over and Isaac basically runs in demanding a table. As we stand just outside waiting for a table Ezra and Isaac get into an argument about God knows what. 

A server comes over and looks between us and then looks at Isaac. "Are you okay Sir? Are these people bothering you?" 

"Yes." He nods. 

"You know us, asshole." Ezra elbows him in the ribs. 

Isaac doubles over in pain as he glares at Ezra. "Unfortunately."

As the night goes on I try my hardest to enjoy myself but my mum's words burn holes in the back of my mind and it makes me think the worst of Ezra and Isaac. What do they want from me?