sixteen

"My friends, this is an historic Unity Day."

Jaha's voice could be heard from the radio Raven and I had set up to face the camp, like a TV. Unity Day was here; the day where we celebrate about the twelve stations came together and created the Arc. I never had much of an interest for it, I didn't see the point. We only came together when we lost the thirteenth station. How come we didn't get together before that happened? I was probably over thinking it, but that was my opinion.

"Every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the twelve stations joined to form the Arc, but this is the last time we do so while aboard her. Next year, on the ground."

Jaha had a wide smile on his face, and everyone on the Arc could be heard cheering. I just rolled my eyes, it wasn't much fun down here when trying to survive. When all of them come down, they wouldn't have to worry about it.

Almost as if he read my mind, Miller started speaking.

"Right, after we did all the work," he said with disgust in his voice. "Someone shut him up."

"You shut up, Miller," Raven said, "no one's forcing you to watch."

"For ninety seven years..."

I couldn't take anymore of the same old, boring Unity Day speech, and neither could Miller. When I saw him walking away, I ran up to him.

"Hey Miller," I said, grabbing his shoulder and turning him around. "Want to help me make some more arrows?"

"Don't we now have guns?" Miller asked me, sounding confused.

"I prefer my bow, judge me all you want," I said, a small smirk coming onto my face. "It will get you away from all this 'Unity Day' shit."

Without any hesitation, Miller agreed.

"Let's go, my blonde friend!" he said loudly, hooking my arm with his. We marched over into my tent, and started to grab all the materials we needed. Arrows were pretty complicated to make, mostly because if you make them too thick or too thin, they won't fly or pierce any skin.

Just as we started to get to work, Jasper could be heard yelling from outside.

"Call this batch Unity Juice! Who's thirsty?"

I sighed in defeat, knowing that Miller was going to leave once he heard about the alcohol that was made. But, despite my doubt, he stayed put.

"Not the drinking type?" I asked him, starting to sharpen the top end of my arrow with my knife. There was a pause before Miller started speaking.

"Yeah, I am, but if Bellamy found out that his main guardsman was drinking, he'd have my head," he replied.

"Oh, who gives a shit about Bellamy," I said sarcastically, although there was a hint of truth in my voice. "It's Unity Day, if you want to drink, then drink. It doesn't matter what Bellamy says."

"I guess you're right," Miller said, grabbing a new stick and sticking a piece of hard clay on the end. He started to sharpen it into a point. "Speaking of Bellamy, what's going on with you two?" There was a smirk on his face, and I gave him an intense glare.

"Nothing, he just trusts me a lot, that's all," I answered, trying to sound nonchalant about it. I still wasn't sure of where Bellamy and I stood. He was the type to be with a different girl every night, rather than stick with just one. He wouldn't want to be with me, he just thought that I was a good person to have around for survival. Even if he was insanely gorgeous, I knew better than to let my feelings get the better of me.

"You'd look good together," Miller stated, shrugging. My eyes widened slightly, but calmed back down.

"Bellamy doesn't do together," I replied. "From the looks of it, he's not a relationship type of person."