twenty four

"Okay, almost exploded but I'm good," I said out loud to nobody. I was setting up some of the land mines around the camp perimeter, and nearly set one off from being so tired. Raven woke me up two hours after I had fallen asleep, telling me to get my ass up and help.

"Come on!" Bellamy yelled to the campers setting up our defences. "These foxholes aren't gonna build themselves." He turned his attention to me. "Blondie, you better hope those land mines work. All this gunpowder we're wasting could be going towards making grenades."

"Why don't you leave the mechanics up to me and Ray, while you shut up," I snapped at him. I wasn't mad, just a bit peeved that he was questioning about something he didn't know about. "But if you really want to help, why don't you come over and test one out? See if they're worth your while."

"Cute," he said, narrowing his eyes at me. I let out a giggle, and he smirked at me, his angry demeanour changing to a joking one. "I need this entire section mined by morning. Then you finish the south field."

"Hey, I told you, we're going after Finn, Clarke and Monty in the morning," Raven said, seeming surprised that Bellamy didn't seem to care.

"And I told you, nobody leaves this camp," Bellamy retorted back to her.

"Bellamy, if it was you missing, they'd go looking for you," I told him, trying to persuade him to let us go back out there one more time.

"And I would rather them be taking care of this camp," he said harshly to me. His once playful manner went back to his serious, leader one. "We aren't going to risk losing anyone else while looking for people who could be dead for all we know."

"Are you serious?" I asked him, standing up from where I was working. "We can't just leave them out there. We need to go looking for them again. We do not abandon people."

"You can't abandon someone who's already gone, Zen," Bellamy said to me, much quieter this time.

"You didn't seem to think that when I was missing," I stated, crossing my arms. It was true, he wanted to go out and look for me.

Bellamy opened his mouth to retort, but was cut off by the sound of a gunshot.

I quickly pulled my knife out of my belt, looking around cautiously to see who fired. I realized that it was Ben, a younger camper. He was up against a tree, and seemed pretty startled by the sudden outburst.

"Hey, what's the matter with you?!" Bellamy screamed out, his voice going extremely deep. I'd admire how sexy it was if I wasn't so scared by the look on his face.

"I'm sorry, man," Ben said, "I fell asleep. I've been on watch all day."

Bellamy went up and grabbed the collar of Ben's shirt, putting his face just a few inches away from Ben's.

"We've all been on watch all day!" Bellamy said, the volume of his voice not changing despite how close he and Ben were. "That bullet was one less dead grounder!"

"Bell, you're scaring people," Octavia said, placing a hand on her brother's shoulder to try and calm him down.

"They should be scared!" Bellamy said, letting go of Ben, who slumped back into the trunk of a tree. "The bomb on the bridge bought us some time to prepare, but that time is up! The grounders are out there right now, waiting for us to leave and picking us off one by one when we do! Clarke, Finn, and Monty are gone, probably dead. There was a good chance Zen was dead, too."

"Yeah, but I'm not," I said, stepping in front of him. "Which means that Clarke and them could still be out there."

"No guns are leaving this camp!" Bellamy said, looking straight into my eyes, as if only speaking to me. "This camp is the only thing keeping us alive! If you want to go look for them, by all means, go. But if you're not, get back to work!"