My Fist Fight is Interrupted by an Earthquake

Y/n's POV

Despite the fact that I had just lost probably the only thing I owned it was a pretty nice tour. Though Percy and I did make sure to stay away from Chiron's back side. And it was bit hard to pay attention to what he was showing us as I kept looking back at him to make sure he was really there. He was quite literally a myth come to life. We passed the volleyball pit. Several of the campers nudged each other. One pointed to the minotaur horn Percy was holding. Another said, "That's them."

Most of the campers looked older than me. Their satyr friends were bigger than Grover, all of them trotting around in orange CAMP HALF-BLOOD T-shirts. I had only ever seen one or two in small glimpses while traveling through the forest. This was quite a step up from that. And as someone who liked to be alone and avoided most human contact the way all the campers looked at us felt very uncomfortable. Like they were expecting me to do a backflip. 

I tried to focus on something else and found myself looking back up at the big house. My eyes just falling on to the brass eagle weathervane when Percy suddenly spoke.

"What's up there?" He asked Chiron.

He and I looked to where he was pointing, and Chiron's smile faded.

"Just the attic."

"Somebody lives there?"

"No," he said with finality. "Not a single living thing."

I got the feeling he was being truthful. But Percy's eyes seemed to linger on that attic window, and I couldn't help but get a shiver up my spine.

"Come along you two," Chiron said, his lighthearted tone now a little forced. "Lots to see."

We walked through the strawberry fields, where campers were picking bushels of berries while a satyr played a tune on a reed pipe.

Chiron told us the camp grew a nice crop for export to New York restaraunts and Mount Olympus. "It pays our expenses," he explained. "And the strawberries take almost no effort."

I looked back over the fields. Gazing at the dashed of pink and red sprinkled across the lengths of green. It was quite beautiful. I felt my self-take an unconscious step toward it but quickly stopped myself. As Chiron pointed out another satyr playing his pipe. His music was causing lines of bugs to leave the strawberry patch in every direction, like refugees fleeing a fire. I wondered if Grover could work that kind of magic with music. I even thought about asking him to teach me how to play a few tunes. But then quickly shot the idea down. I never really had much of a mind for music. It seemed Percy was thinking about the goat boy too as he spoke up.

"Grover won't get in too much trouble, will he?" He asked Chiron. "I mean . . . he was a good protector. Really."

Chiron sighed. He shed his tweed jacket and draped it over his horse's back like a saddle. "Grover has big dreams, Percy. Perhaps bigger than are reasonable. To reach his goal, he must first demonstrate great courage by succeeding as a keeper, finding a new camper and brining him safely to Half-Blood Hill."

"But he did that! Heck technically he brought two of us!" He spoke.

I nodded in agreement. I hadn't known Grover for long, but he seemed genuine and kind. And at the very least he didn't deserve to be punished.

"I might agree with you," Chiron said. "But it was not my place to judge. Dionysus and the Council of Cloven Elders must decide. I'm afraid they might not see this assignment as a success. After all, Grover lost you in New York. And your encounter with Y/n was more accidental than intentional. Then there's the unfortunate . . . ah . . . fate of your mother. And the fact that Grover was unconscious when you dragged him and Y/n across the property line. The council might question whether this shows any courage on Grover's part."