Saying Goodbye

Y/n's POV

After the letter had been settled, I didn't really now what to do. Everyone was either packing up, or running around with mops and broom, preparing for the last inspection. So there wasn't any camp activities, and I had no plans. Eventually I settled on some early morning, weapon training, I hadn't gotten to test out my new spear yet, and now was as good a time as ever.

I got to the sword-fighters arena and found that Luke was already there. His gym bag was plopped at the edge of the stage. He was working solo, whaling on battle dummies with a sword I'd never seen before. it must've been a regular steel blade, because he was slashing the dummies' heads right off, stabbing through their straw-stuffed guts. His orange counselor's shirt was dripping with sweat. His expression was so intense, his life might've really been in danger. It was pretty impressive, albeit a bit intimidating.

I was about to interject to ask if I could join, when suddenly Percy appeared behind me. Nearly making me jump right out of my shoes, in surprise.

"Jesus Christ, man." I said as I steadied myself.

Percy smirked. "Not Jesus, but I can see how you got confused."

He looked up at me, noticing the rose tucked behind my ear. He pointed at it questioningly.

"Oh yeah, just thought it fit better there, then in my dirty pocket." I said.

He nodded approvingly. "It suits you."

I was about to respond when Luke finally noticed us stopping mid swing as he addressed us. "Percy, Y/n."

"Um, sorry." Percy responded.

"Sorry to bother you," I added.

"It's okay," he said, lowering his sword. "Just doing some last-minute practice."

"Those dummies won't be bothering anybody anymore." Percy commented.

Luke shrugged. "We build new ones every summer."

Now that his sword wasn't swirling around, I could see something odd about it. The blade was two different types of metal-one edge bronze, the other steel.

Luke noticed me looking at it. "Oh this? New toy. This is Backbiter."

"Backbiter?" I asked.

Luke turned in the light so it glinted wickedly. "One side is celestial bronze. The other is tempered steel. Works on mortals and immortals both."

I felt like questioning why he needed something that could harm mortals. Then I remembered that I had a death blade attached to my hip, that could suck the life out of any living being. So I didn't want to be a hypocrite.

"I didn't know they could make weapons like that." Percy said.

"They probably can't," Luke agreed. "It's one of a kind."

He gave me a tiny smile, then slid the sword into its scabbard. "Listen, I was going to come looking for both of you. What do you say we go down to the woods one last time, look for something to fight?"

I shrugged, it kind of felt like an odd request to me. But I wasn't against it. I deferred to Percy, who seemed a bit hesitant at the idea.

"You think it's a good idea?" Percy asked. "I mean-"

"Aw, come on." He rummaged in his gym bag and pulled out a six-pack of Cokes. "Drinks on me."

I stared at the Cokes, wondering where the heck he'd gotten them. There were no regular mortal sodas at the camp store. No way to smuggle them in unless you talked to a satyr, maybe.