A God Buys Us Cheeseburgers

Percy's POV

The next day, Jun14, seven days before the solstice our train had almost reached Denver. And we were all stewing in our own thoughts. 

We had managed to get seats in the far back of the train. And lucky for us there weren't any other passengers close by. Who knows what they would've done if they saw Y/n's unconscious body.

Grover was sitting in a seat to my left dozing off quietly with the occasional snort escaping his mouth. As soon as we had gotten on, he had been knocked out cold. The same couldn't be said for me. 

I sat across from Y/n's unconscious form. Where we had laid him across a few seats so he could rest easier. We didn't know what to do with him or what was really going on, but we tried our best to make him comfortable. Annabeth stood next to me in my seat. Arms crossed as she gazed over at Y/n. A puzzling questioning look splayed across her face. She had asked me to recount my story. Maybe there was something I had missed something that could help us get Y/n back to full health. Or even just understand whatever was going on with him.

"I was protecting the other people from the Chimera. Putting myself between it and them. Doing my best to hold it off. And suddenly he was there." I continued, "Covered in shadows and darkness. It was like I could feel that raw power coming off of him. I've never seen him do anything like it."

Annabeth nodded.

"And you're sure you didn't see how he did it."

I shook my head.

"I wasn't paying attention. I just turned my head, and he was there. I don't know how he did it."

She nodded again. That same puzzling cold calculating expression washing over her as she turned back towards Y/n's body. Still cloaked in tendrils of darkness. Climbing up and down his skin sickeningly. Annabeth's cold expression never changed. It was really starting to annoy me. I could take her ridiculing me but the way she looked at Y/n angered me to know end.

"Do you have to do that?" I said sharply.

"What?"

"I mean you look at him like he's just some puzzle for you to solve." I said angrily, "Do you even see him as a person? Do you even realize that he really just almost died. Or are you too full of it to even care." It was a jaded comment, but I didn't really try to hide the edge in my tone.

"Of course, I care! What kind of a question is that?" She snapped back.

I let out a deep breath. "Sorry, that was a bit much."

 I knew Annabeth wasn't that cold. I was just angry and downright flooded with worry for my friend. Taking it out on Annabeth was an easy way to vent. I might as well let it go and finish.

"Well anyways you know the rest." I spoke, "I got thrown out of the Arch landed in the river. Had the vision and made it back to you two. Y/n popped up next to us we ran to the train and here we are."

I turned back to her.

"Any of that help?"

My voice came out a bit more irritated than I wanted. I knew she was just trying to figure out what was happening. But I didn't see how retelling the story was going to help. I barely understood the Greek gods and half-bloods in general. But whatever was happening with Y/n was on a whole other lever of weird. Still though he was my friend. And if there was something I could do to help I would. Even if it meant working with Annabeth. Which probably wouldn't turn out well regardless of the situation.

But then again. She did say that our parents were able to work together at least once. And Y/n had said that he thought we would make a good team.

I looked back over at Annabeth. Hand held to her chin while deep in thought.