My Dinner Goes Up in Flames

F/n = Fathers name

L/n = Last name

Y/n's POV

Word of the earthquake incident spread immediately. Wherever we went, campers pointed at me and whispered amongst themselves. Gossiping as they talked behind my back. I hated when people did that. Percy seemed to notice my discomfort and tried to take the edge of a bit. Joking with me about the camp and every once in a while, thanking me for saving him from being sent to an early soggy toilet water filled grave.

Nevertheless, we continued on in the tour. Annabeth showing us the metal shop (where kids were forging their own swords), the arts-and-crafts room (where satyrs were sandblasting a giant actually consisted of two facing walls that shook violently, dropped boulders, sprayed lava, and clashed together if you didn't get to the top fast enough.

Finally, we returned to the canoeing lake, where the trail led back to the cabins.

"I've got training to do," Annabeth said flatly. "Dinners at seven-thirty. Just follow your cabin to the mess hall."

 I nodded as I glanced over at Percy a few feet away from me. At the edge of the lake as he stared down into the water. I leaned over his shoulder trying to see what he was looking at. Nearly stumbling as I saw two people sitting cross legged at the bottom of the pier. They wore blue jeans and shimmering green T-shirts, and their brown hair floated loose around their shoulders as minnows darted in and out. Them smiling and waving as I felt myself blush unconsciously. Quickly covering my face with my arm as I stepped away from the lake.

"Don't encourage the." Annabeth warned us. "Naiads are terrible flirts."

"Naiads," I heard Percy repeat. Turning towards him as I saw everything that he had just seen within the last few hours come crashing down on him. "That's it. I want to go home."

I couldn't help but feel a similar sentiment the voice at the back of my head seeming to agree. But sadly, I didn't have a home to go back to. And this camp was about the only safest place for someone like me.

"Don't you get it, Percy? You two are home. This is the only safe place on earth for kids like us."

"She's right Percy. People like us don't get to live normal lives." As I spoke those words that presence in the back of my mind seemed to snicker in amusement.

"You mean mentally disturbed kids?" Percy said.

"We mean not human. Not totally human, anyway. Half-human." She replied.

"Half human and half-what?"

"Percy. You must know by now." I said slowly.

I looked over at him gradually. My friend seeming to wrestle with this internally for a moment before responding.

"God," he said. "Half-god."

Annabeth nodded approvingly. "Your father isn't dead, Percy. He's one of the Olympians."

"That's . . . crazy."

I was about to respond by citing everything we had just seen in the past few hours. But Annabeth already began to answer.

"Is it? What's the most common thing gods did in the old stories? They ran around falling in love with human and having kids with them. Do you think they've changed their habits in the last few millennia?"

"But those are jus-" he seemed to stop himself as he redirected his sentence. "But if all the kids here are half-gods-"

"Demigods," Annabeth said. "That's the official term. Or half-bloods."