I Hate Nightmares

Y/n's POV

I didn't remember hitting the ground. Just the fall. The air rushing past me and the shadows clawing up my skin. I didn't know when I hit. But I remembered the pain. So much pain. I couldn't fight it I couldn't run. It flooded through me. I don't know how I survived or even why I continued fighting. My life didn't add anything to this world. I just put others in danger. Anyone that comes near me dies. My death was deserved.

The next thing I remembered I was looking up at the sky. Lying in the grass unable to move and hardly able to think. Pain flooding through me more intense than I had ever felt.

The plants and the earth around me seemed to cling to me wrapping around me like a protective blanket. I didn't know what was going on. All I knew was that if I didn't do something I was going to die.

And somewhere deep inside me a primal rage emerged. Telling me to fight back. To survive. To live. A darkness that clawed its way out of my soul. Cloaked me in shadows. Allowed the void itself to flow through my skin. And as the earth receded and let me sink into its depths. And the shadows clung to me burrowing into my wounds. I could only think. How?

I opened my eyes hesitantly. I expected see the  blue sky above. At the Arch where I had fallen. But there was nothing. Just an empty black abyss.

And it wasn't long before a familiar figure emerged from the shadows. Tendrils of darkness wrapping around each other until they formed a solid body. A perfect mirror image of myself. But unlike me them appeared as I had back when I had fought the Chimera. Pitch black smoke wrapping up and around them. Tentacles of void clawing along her skin as they had mine but a few minutes ago. Though his were more intense in a way. Theirs was darker somehow if that was even possible. And they radiated death and emptiness. 

I looked up at them slowly. My eyes meeting his. And it was only now that I realized that they did not have any. Or rather in the empty sockets where their eyes should be. There was nothing but emptiness. Like her eyes were absent of any light or substance. Completely dark. Like a black hole.

"You just had to mess everything up." he snapped. "So close. So close. But you just have to be stubborn."

I felt an anger fill me that I had never really known. They had convinced me that they were trying to help me. That he wanted to save me. But as that darkness wrapped around me. And I embraced the void and shadow that filled my body. And I laughed his laugh. Felt what they felt. I knew she was going to kill me. I didn't know how I didn't know why. But everything in my body told me to fight them.

"I'll never accept you!" I yelled. "You were going to kill me."

"You did that yourself!" They replied angrily. "Besides your little shadow trick won't save you. Your friends have no idea how to help. And it won't be long before you run out of energy to sustain your healing."

I felt taken aback. As he spoke. I remembered the shadows emerging from my skin. Clawing up my body as they filled my wounds. I thought she had done it. To keep me or rather us alive. So they could use it to convince me that they were really trying to help.

"You mean you didn't do that." I asked hesitantly.

They turned towards me. First in slight surprise and then in amusement. 

"Have you learned nothing?" she said. "I didn't do this. I didn't heal you. You think that darkness was me? That everything you did back at the Arch was because of me." She laughed." You really are a fool. No it was not me. That darkness was not me. I merely opened you to the possibilities. That damn was bound to break eventually. And when you accepted my help. All I did was give it the little push to make it all come crumbling down."