We Become Zoo Animals

Y/n's POV

I followed Percy, Annabeth, and Grover to the diner they had met Ares. Thinking that in it of itself felt weird. I still didn't fully believe that they had actually met the war god himself. Then again our camp counselor was the god of wine, so maybe I needed to start getting used to running into immortals.

He was waiting for us in the parking lot of the restaurant. A tall stocky biker dressed in full leather and bar fighting clothes. He had a tan complexion, black hair, and a general air of intensity. And as we approached I felt my adrenaline rise, like I had just shotgunned an energy drink.

"Well, well," he said. "You didn't get yourself killed."

"You knew it was a trap," Percy said.

Ares replied with a menacing grin. "Bet that crippled black smith was surprised when he netted a couple of stupid kids. You looked good on TV."

Percy shoved his shield at him. "You're a jerk."

Annabeth and Grover caught their breath. And despite the uneasiness I felt from being in front of  a war god. I stepped forward, placing a hand on Percy's shoulder trying to tell him it wasn't worth antagonizing him. But his steely gaze didn't dissipate. And because I had stepped forward Ares finally noticed my presence. Shifting his eyes towards me from behind his black sunglasses. And it was like there was a whole being burned through my head as though eyes looked at me.

"So you didn't die either punk." he said chuckling slightly.

I tried to stand firm despite the intense shaking I felt in my legs.

"You've got your mothers stubbornness."

I felt my eyes widen, the fear leaving my body at the mention of her.

"You knew my mom?" 

"Well knew of her would be a better way of saying it." he continued. "I mean when everyone found out about you." Ares made a whistling sound with his mouth. "Your mom was all that anyone could talk about on Olympus. Drove Zeus and Poseidon crazy when they heard about it. Never seen them that freaked before."

I looked back at him not honestly sure how to respond. But for some reason a question popped into mind. One that maybe he knew the answer of.

"Who was she?"

Ares smirked as he replied. "Not gonna be that easy kid. Even us gods don't fully know. But I've got guesses and a lot of them would put any immortals toga in a twist. But we'll have to wait and see won't we?

He snickered. "Well that's if old thunder beard doesn't chuck a lightning bolt down at you, before we can found out. But I'm sure even he wants to know before deciding how exactly he's going to erase you from existence."

If I wasn't shaking before I definitely was now. Using the hand I still had on Percy's shoulder to support myself. I could hardly speak. And I'm sure Percy saw how well I wasn't doing after just getting my life threatened, so he quickly stepped in for me.

"Yeah well he'll have to get through us before that. And we have a quest to do anyways. So just give us the ride you promised and we'll be leaving."

Ares scoffed as he replied. "Don't worry Perseus Jackson, Y/n L/n isn't the only one on my old mans hit list."

Percy didn't react simply standing firm as he glared back at Ares. Sometimes I envied how brave he was, how much courage he had in the face of situations like these. Something I definitely lacked.

"See that truck over there?" He pointed to an eighteen wheeler parked across the street from the diner. "That's your ride. Take you straight to L.A., with one stop in Vegas."