I Fall to My Death

Y/n's POV

We spent days on the Amtrak train, heading west through hills, over viers, past amber waves of grain.

We weren't attacked once, but I didn't relax. Before Camp Half-Blood after weeks of monster attacks, it was pretty hard to not be constantly on edge.

I sat next to Annabeth who was muttering nonsense to herself. I glanced over to our right where Grover was sitting sound asleep in his seat. And meanwhile Percy kept pacing the length of the train. Mumbling to himself as he refused to sit still. I and Annabeth tried to get him to sit back down but he wouldn't listen. So, it was just me and her sitting together.

I felt an uncomfortable feeling fill my body as Annabeth watched me inquisitively. The same way she had back at camp. Like I was puzzle she hadn't found the answer too. It was really starting to get on my nerves.

"Yeah Annabeth?" I said prompting her.

"What?"

"What do you want to ask?"

"Oh nothing, nothing. Just that," she looked over at me puzzlingly. "So, you don't have any idea who your godly parent is?"

I sighed figuring that this was the place she wanted to go. "Yeah, I don't. My dad never told me, and I haven't gotten any floating tridents above my head. So, no. I don't know."

"Haven't you ever wondered who?"

I looked over at her and shrugged.

"Yeah sometimes. But if she didn't care about me enough to claim me or even call. Then why should I care about her?"

Annabeth raised her hand to her chin. Ignoring the end of my last sentence as she continued.

"What about your powers?"

"What about them?"

"Well usually that's a big clue when it comes to your godly parent." She gestured over at Percy who was still pacing the length of the train. "Look at seaweed brain. He heals himself just by standing in water. Who else could he be but Poseidon's son?" 

I gave her a questioning look.

"Well, if it's so easy with Percy. Then what about me?"

An annoyed irritated look passed over Annabeth. Like she was on the verge of solving a puzzle, but she was missing just one clue.

"So, your abilities are as far as we know. Is some degree of earth manipulation."

I nodded.

"But that isn't a whole lot to go off of. So-"

"I also have a few others. Back at the road I was able to cause vines to burst out of the ground. And at Aunty Em's I used some form of echolocation through a connection with the earth."

Annabeth looked back at me in slight confusion to which I simply replied: "Earthbending."

"Right. Uh anyways that helps a bit more." She got that same inquisitive puzzling look. "We can add plant manipulation and heightened senses to the list."

I waited for her to continue. Prompting her to answer.

"So, what's your conclusion Sherlock?"

"There isn't really a definitive answer. You can't be a child of the big three because you have a mortal father. Unless of course you're adopted?"

"I'm definitely not."

"Well then let's stick with the goddesses." she said. "Hera doesn't have kids so that crosses her off the list. Athena doesn't fit you either and I doubt we'd be siblings. All of your powers are nature related so Artemis kind of works. But she definitely doesn't have any children. And there's no way you're a son of Aphrodite. Then there's Demeter. Your plant powers might work with that. But not your earth ones."