Prologue

Dimly lit fires filled an empty cave and bright eyes glistened in the moonlight. Anger flashed in them as they looked out from the mountain peak and into the drizzly, rainy outside world.

Brown scales reflected the bright light of the torches and green wings were folded close. Several dragons of various dull colors were hidden in the tunnel, filled with dragons. The one at the head whipped it's tail and hit the entrance. There was a sound like glass breaking and cracks sprayed across the entrance as if ice.

"We have been banished for too long." The dragon growled, flexing it's claws into the ground. "Soon, we will return. We will have our revenge."

"Soon!" Hisses rang around the cave. "Revenge! Return! Revenge! Soon! Return!"

"How soon?" A dragon asked, smoke starting to roll out of it's nostrils.

The dragon at the head narrowed it's eyes in contempt. "Now." It rumbled, and swung it's spiked tail at the entrance again. There was a loud shattering sound and the magic fractured into bits and pieces, disappearing into the ground as if it were never there.

Roars echoed and split the skies as hundreds of dragons poured out of the tunnel, various things following them. Twisted things filled with hatred, things that had been bent to the will of the dimension that lay beyond the portal. Rage had clouded the dragons' minds, and now it was time for revenge. Fires poured out into the sky like rain, quickly being extinguished. Oh, well, it was for the better. The dragons could not be caught.

The brown dragon, leader of the thunder, let out a thunderous roar that echoed throughout the valley. The other dragons began to surround him as he led them to a cave nearby where they sheltered.

"In the morning, we rise." The dragon said. Echoes of, "Rise, rise," Filled the cave.

"But, Fury," One of the smaller, green dragons crept forwards. "How rise?"

"We steal their gems." Fury, as the thunder's leader and king, could speak the common language much better than the others. Usually, they would speak in their normal tongue, but they had near-forgotten it in their banishment. "With no gems, they have no magic. And with no magic, they will be vulnerable. We cause unrest." Fury sniffed. "Perhaps I will meet with the Fae King. He was my friend many years ago."

"Yet he did not help in time of need." The green dragon growled.

"Maybe dead." One of the other dragons agreed. Fury snarled. "Silence! Do you question my decision? Last I checked, I was your leader-your KING!" He bellowed the last word, smoke coiling from his nostrils. The other dragons crept back into the cave. None dared to speak up against him.

"In the morning, we rise. Do not question me again, else I rip your head from your shoulders with my bare talons."