Chapter 22

Cliffton, Moone, and Stevie continued walking and, whenever they stopped to rest, Moone and Cliffton would duel. Stevie usually watched and helped blunt their weapons, until one day...

"Ack!" Cliffton stumbled backwards and clutched his arm. Moone jumped back and stared at the place where her sword had pierced his arm. He winced and pressed the wound, trying to apply pressure.

"What?" Stevie's voice was quiet, distant. "No...No, that can't be right."

But it was. Not long after, an injured bird fluttered towards Stevie, collapsing in front of her with a note clasped in its beak. Stevie had read it and walked off. She hadn't spoke to either of them about it.

Moone used her own magic instead, though now any blow that connected had a slight tingle before bouncing off. Cliffton was distracted by Stevie's letter and her magic failing, and it showed.

He sighed and peeled himself off the ground again. Despite having only trained for a while, Cliffton was starting to build more muscle and was getting up almost as soon as he was knocked down. Moone frowned. "You need to focus."

"I know, I know, I just..." Cliffton shrugged. "I'm worried about Stevie, yknow?"

"Let's try something different." Moone said instead. "You're not as great at offense."

"Sorry." Cliffton shrugged and dropped into a fighting position.

"I want you to rush at me. Attack me as best you can, but don't let me hit you. Every time I get a hit, we start again until you can overwhelm me."

Cliffton nodded and dropped into a fighting position, brandishing his sword. He rushed at Moone the moment she assumed her own fighting crouch, but she was quick and saw him coming, turning just barely so that her sword blocked his blow. Cliffton turned away as Moone lunged at him as well and saw another attack coming from her on the left. He blocked that as well and then swung so that her sword was pushed to an uncomfortable position, pushing at the tip. Moone elbowed him in the stomach, making him double over and stumble back, but he managed to block her next blow well enough. A few more well-aimed attacks, however, and eventually she managed to wack him on the shoulder.

"Try again." The fae said, looking unimpressed. Cliffton lunged for her again, this time dodging aside and landing a heavy blow to her leg. Moone jumped backwards and lifted her sword to block another strike from Cliffton. He twisted in a quiet spin and brought his sword upwards. The tip of the blade bounced harmlessly off her arm as she slipped aside, dodging the intended fake stab. Her sword hit him in the back of the head.

"Try again."

Cliffton lunged. Parried, stabbed, dodged, twisted-

A hefty smack to his back.

"Again."

Lunge. Parry-

Moone's sword hit his legs, knocking him aside. Cliffton blew out a breath and got up.

"Again."

Lunge, Parry, Twist, Stab, Dodge, Parry, Lunge, Block again.

One of Moone's blows sent him lurching forwards and he stuck his hands out, catching himself right before he hit the ground face-first. He grunted as the weight of Moone's boot rested on his back.

"You suck at offense."

"Yeah." Cliffton pushed her away and reached for his sword. "Can we not do this?"

"You're not going to get better at fighting by not fighting." Moone rolled her eyes and leaned against her sword. "So, you have two options. We can keep doing offense, or my fighting lessons will end."

Cliffton sighed and held up his sword, dropping into his fighting position.

"Try again."

++++

Cliffton was so sore that when he got back to their temporary camp, he flopped down on the ground and just stared at the sky. He didn't want to move again. "Hey, Stevie."

Stevie looked up. "Hmm?"

"What happened?" Cliffton turned his head in her general direction so that he could look at her. She shuffled, looking uncomfortable. "The, uh...The Elf Crystal. Its been stolen."

"Oh." Cliffton pushed himself into a sitting position, wincing. "You looked upset."

Stevie looked away. "Sinni is dead."

Cliffton twisted to look her in the eye, eyes wide with shock. He then winced at the sudden movement and sat back down. "Ouch. I'm sorry, that's horrible."

"Yeah." Stevie sighed and walked off. Moone, who had arrived not long after Cliffton, shrugged and pulled out a cut of venison to make for the three of them. Cliffton closed his eyes and, before he knew it, he'd dozed off.