Chapter 9

Cliffton stared in awe at the forest that stretched before him. As they landed, Tolei shifted and one of the guards, also a gryphon by the wings, frowned. "Is this the boy?"

"Yes." Hawken nodded. "Please send someone to announce our arrival to the king."

Cliffton felt himself trembling as he walked into the castle and sat down at one of the chairs beside a two large doors. Hawken pointed to him. "That is the throne room. We're going to go in there in a few moments."

Cliffton messed with his hands and jumped as a young girl ran over to them. "Hawken! Tolei! Did you hear?"

She wore an apron and had blue eyes and messy brown hair that was almost black. Hawken shook his head. "What is it?"

"I heard that someone attempted to kill the King!" The girl gasped. Hawken's eyes widened. "They did? When?"

"Not too long ago. Words travel fast." The girl shrugged and ran off, and Hawken and Tolei exchanged a glance. Cliffton looked up. "Do you think the king will be okay?"

"King Saphaer is smart. He'll be fine." Tolei said calmly. Hawken nodded nervously.

"The king will have you now!" A silver-haired man with orange eyes and brown antlers spiraling from his head stepped out of the door. He was clothed in red robes and Cliffton held his breath as Tolei and Hawken led him into the throne room.

King Saphaer sat upon a giant throne that looked more like a conveniently-shaped tree. Cliffton stared at him in shock; he seemed very regal, and he also seemed quite annoyed. Cliffton shivered, but Hawken and Tolei had told him that the King was fair, so he just had to trust them.

"I trust that this is the survivor of the fire?" The King asked, looking over at the two. Tolei nodded. "We're about to go back to see if anyone else made it."

The King nodded and dismissed them. Hawken waved Cliffton goodbye, giving him a smile before he left. Now Cliffton stood before the Fae king and his court alone.

"Explain the events of the fire from what you saw." The King said, and Cliffton took a deep breath and nodded, beginning to explain what happened. The King listened attentively and didn't interrupt once, and when Cliffton finished, he sat back. "It sounds like you've been through quite the ordeal."

Cliffton nodded and looked away, embarrassed. Saphaer blinked. "You seem like a strong boy. Have any skills?"

"I'm a good archer." Cliffton offered. Saphaer nodded. "Perhaps you should become one of my personal ones...what do you think?"

Cliffton's eyes widened. "Really?"

Saphaer nodded. "At least until you get your bearings. You won't be in any real danger if you're always attacking from a distance, though we're at peace for now. You'd need to be trained, but...I can see it in you." 

Cliffton stared at the King in shock before he thought about it for a few moments. "Alright." He nodded. "Alright! I'll do it!"

King Saphaer smiled and sat back. "Wonderful. Oh-I don't think I ever caught your name?"

"Cliffton." He smiled and then, for a moment, remembered that he was talking to a king. "Y-Your Majesty!"

The King nodded. "Brilliant. Guards, show Cliffton to his room and make sure he's safe along the way. I want him close to me. I'd like to watch his progress." The king's glittering violet eyes focused on Cliffton with a warm curiosity. The guards nodded and led Cliffton to a room not very far to the left of the Throne Room and showed him inside.

Cliffton gaped at the size of the room; it was the size of his and his parents' rooms combined! He smiled as he felt the soft cloths that covered the bed, and glanced out the window at the forest before him. 

Not long after the guards left, two servants came to his door. "Hello! Do you need anything?"

"No, I think I'll be fine." Cliffton smiled. "What're your names?"

The two girls exchanged a look.

 "I'm Pip!" The first one said.

"I'm Pop!" Said the second. 

Cliffton nodded. "MY name is Cliffton, but uh...you can call me Cliff."

"Nice to meet you, Sir Cliff!" Pip said, smiling. Cliffton laughed nervously. "I'm not a Sir, I just-"

"It's only proper." Pop said, and the two whisked off, leaving Cliffton surprised by the interaction.