Chapter 18

Saphaer wandered the empty hallways of the palace, a feeling of boredom creeping over him. He had so much to do, but he did want to take a break. He just...wasn't sure how to spend his time off.

He had to figure out what to do with Buckie, now that he had what he wanted. He wasn't quite sure if he was done with his torture yet, though the boy now seemed somewhat sorry. Saphaer had seen how the boy broke down, even without physically being there.

He also had to figure out what Naireth was up to. The dragon hadn't mentioned any new plans to him, but...Saphaer had a feeling that he had something planned.

Worry clouded his every movement, he dreaded the day that Naireth learned of his betrayal. He mulled over his thoughts, his mind meandering the palace alongside him, ticking at every if and when and why, noting every slight shift in the ever-churning sea that was his mind, a torrent of chaos and worry and fear. Heartbreak made the waters darker than the night sky itself, and the King half-closed his eyes, letting out a quiet sigh. He held his breath for a moment before opening his eyes as he bumped into someone.

The girl jumped and yelped. "Oh, apologies, sir! I was just heading back to my quarters." Her eyes met his and a smile played at her lips. Ah, Saphaer remembered her. Serena was one of the first children to come to Saphaer, though her out of worry instead of misbehavior. Her best friend had been constantly bullied by two other kids, and mysteriously disappeared one day. Not even the fae had been able to find her. As condolence, Saphaer had offered Serena a home at the palace, and she'd lived there ever since. At first, she relaxed and recovered from her grief, but eventually she began doing chores around the castle, even when Saphaer had told her that she didn't have to.

"You seem tired." She commented, "When's the last time you slept?"

"It's been a while." Saphaer admitted, looking away and bouncing on the balls of his feet. If he was being honest, he was exhausted. It had been over a week since he last slept, despite the fact that he knew sleep would help. Serena put her hands on her hips. "I think its time for you to take a nap."

"I'll be fine." Saphaer said, frowning. "I just need to keep moving."

"Nope. Nap time." Serena gave him a firm look. "You'll be no use to your subjects if you end up passing out from exhaustion."

Saphaer sighed and began heading towards his sleeping quarters. Serena walked beside him, probably so that she could make sure that he did go to sleep. Saphaer sighed as he opened the two grand doors and stared at the elevated bed in the center of the room. The servants must have made his bed because it looked pristine. Untouched.

Saphaer sighed and climbed into bed, and Serena closed the doors. She's always had a soft hand, so there was little noise other than a soft click as the door closed. Saphaer sighed and closed his eyes, trying to get to sleep, but despite his exhaustion, he couldn't. He tossed and turned, and yet the welcoming advice of sleep didn't come. He considered calling someone in to knock him out when he had another idea, one that wouldn't involve him waking up with a headache.

He sent a magical summons to the kitchens and a servant came in with his tea not long after. He thanked them profusely and closed the door before sipping the chamomile tea. The mintlike taste washed down his throat, soothing his stomach with its warmth. He let out a deep sigh as he finished the drink before placing the empty mug down on the beside table and tucking himself in to sleep.

Saphaer woke up in a field near the human villages. He glanced over to see a brilliant girl dancing about, fire-colored hair whipping around her, intelligent green eyes crinkled upwards in joy as she twirled beside a glittering lake. Saphaer watched her sadly from the field as another, younger version of himself walked over.

"Hello." He said, blinking. The girl yelped as she saw him and tumbled into the lake. Dream-Saphaer jumped and began running over to help, but she splashed up to the surface, musical laughter spilling out from her mouth. Dream-Saphaer paused before letting out a laugh as well.

"Hey! I'm Phoenix!" She smiled and stood so that her shoulders peaked out of the water, her green eyes shining. Dream-Saphaer's antlers were hidden, so he might look like an elf or perhaps just another human, if one didn't look too closely at his sharply pointed ears. Dream-Saphaer returned her smile and introduced himself, and Phoenix grinned at him and splashed water in his direction. Dream-Saphaer tilted his head, eyes narrowed. "Are you challenging me to a splash battle?"

"Duh." The girl rolled her eyes and splashed at him again. Dream-Saphaer gave her a challenging grin before charging into the lake. The two began furiously splashing water at each other until Saphaer slipped and was dunked below the water for a moment. Phoenix dove in after him, dragging him up to the surface, and the two stared at each other for a moment before bursting into elated laughter. Phoenix dove below the surface and began to swim away, and Dream-Saphaer called after her. "Where are you going?"

"Somehwere." She grinned as she popped above the surface of the water, sloshing backwards. "Don't worry, its not like anything'll happen-" Just that moment, she disappeared under the water's surface as if she'd been dragged. Saphaer yelped and ran as best he could towards her, only to screech as she popped out of the water in front of him, yelling, "Boo!"

Saphaer sighed as his eyes opened slowly. He felt rejuvenated, though the dream had filled him with sorrow as he thought of her. With a sigh, he slowly pushed himself upwards and moved from his bed. Saphaer made his bed himself before walking off, closing the doors behind him.