Chapter 20

Buckie's eyes opened as he heard the door to his cell open. Two guards stood in front of the door. "You are to be returned to your original cell."

He almost sighed with relief and hobbled over. Before he was taken to his new cell, he was taken to the clinic and all of his wounds were cleaned and bandaged. Buckie was used to the pain of walking, so he was fine to walk to his cell alone. It was a lot cleaner than when he'd left it and he flopped down onto the soft, springy cot, sighing and closing his eyes. He instantly fell asleep.

++++

The next morning, he was given fresh bread. He ate it ravenously, his stomach practically empty. When he had finished with that, he was given water, which he also finished. He looked around the empty cell, leaning against the bars. For the first time in a while, he felt energized. He wanted to walk around or exercise, but his feet were still healing, so he reached up and wrapped his hands around a bar set up at the top of the cell. He hoped that this was for exercise, or he would end up with more bruises than he had left the glass cage with.

++++

Buckie was given bread and water again the next time he woke up. He was a bit skeptical, but he accepted. He tried walking a bit, but he stopped once pain flared again. He went to bed.

++++

The next time Buckie woke up, he was given food and water again, and the nurse visited him once more. She changed all of his bandages before ushering him back to his cell. Not long after, Saphaer came by.

"Good morning." He said.

"'Morning."

"I'm sure you've noticed a change." Saphaer had his hands clasped behind his back, rolling on the balls of his feet. "I'm planning on releasing you soon, although not without one final warning."

"I'm assuming that you walk away now, leaving me in suspense?" Buckie blinked.

"I think you're going to want to prepare yourself for this one." Saphaer said. "In five days, you will become a Cursed Pheonix, although not for long."

"...Please explain." Buckie blinked, taken aback.

"You will be a phoenix-a bird of flame-but your flames will hurt you. At least, until your first rebirth, in this case."

"I..." Buckie closed his eyes. "Alright."

When Buckie opened his eyes, Saphaer was gone. He tried walking around for a bit again, as he had a suspicion that he'd need all the strength he could muster.

++++

The next morning, he was given food and water again. It seemed to get hotter and hotter in Buckie's cell and the morning after that he was moved to a cell that was far better conditioned, and, Buckie assumed, fireproof. He received more food and water, walked for a bit, and then exercised again before going back to bed.

+++

Knowing he had three days left, Buckie tried to take a last look around the dungeons. The two Blighted fae were still there, though they were strangely quiet as of recent, and Buckie's cell was a bit far away. The boy jumped as Peregrine came down to the room.

"Hey, Bullseye." Peregrine smiled. "I can't wait until you're let go. I'll show you a place where most of us shifters hang out."

"Don't you have a job here?" Buckie frowned. Peregrine looked away. "I quit. Saphaer understood, I've been here for a while, but..." Peregrine turned back to him. "Buckie, you're my best friend. I'm considered super young since I'm just about your age, and...well, I've never been friends with anyone like I have you. I'm so glad that you're alright. Wait. You are alright, right?"

"Calm down. I'm completely fine, especially now that I'm out of that glass cage." Buckie sighed.

"That must've sucked. We weren't allowed to visit you." Peregrine frowned.

"Sounds about right." Buckie nodded and sat back in his cot. "Well, I'm heading to bed. G'night."

"Night." Peregrine waved and walked off.

++++

On the fourth day, Buckie's wounds were checked one more time. They'd healed surprisingly well given the short amount of time.

Buckie spent his last day in the cell exercising, walking about, and pondering. What would he do next? Of course, he could go for revenge, but...something told him that it wouldn't work. His thoughts traveled to the dragon king. Naireth. Despite his dislike of Saphaer, the soft-spoken royal didn't seem like one to side with someone like him. Deep inside of him, Buckie hated Naireth more than Saphaer. His hatred for the King had boiled out when he'd been left alone, and Buckie wasn't entirely sure how he felt about him. He thought over it for a while before deciding that he was neutral with Saphaer. He was a good King, and Buckie had made a rash decision.

He stared at the cell for a bit longer. Buckie had definitely changed over the time he'd spent in the dungeons, although the change felt better. He stared at the ceiling for a few moment before making a quiet decision.

Buckie had been a young, irrational boy with rash decisions and mean intentions, but he didn't feel that way anymore. He thought about his dart-throwing abilities, he wondered if he still had them.

And in that moment, he decided to drop the name Buckie. After all...tomorrow, he would have a new title, a new form, and a new life...

So how about a new name?