Chapter 2

The Fae Kingdom

King Saphaer sat upon his golden throne, on the bright red cushion that he found himself on every day, waiting for visitors and such to pass through the unseelie court, for criminals to receive their verdicts, and all other formal matters of the sort. The court's steward stepped into the room. "Your Majesty, one of the citizens has brought a new servant."

"Bring them in." Saphaer said boredly, tilting his head to the side. "And make preparations for a new announcement. We have enough servants as it is."

The steward nodded and rushed back out of the room, before a young human boy was shoved into the throne room. He had short, scruffy black hair and scared brown eyes. His trousers were dark gray and well-tended to; he must have been of the upper class. No matter; he was here for a reason, and here he would likely be humbled.

"What is your name, child?" Saphaer asked, narrowing his eyes at the boy. He trembled and shook his head, making Saphaer sigh in disappointment. "Do not make me use my gifts for ill; tell me your name, boy."

"B-Buckie." The boy's eyes were wide. "M-My name is Buckie."

"Hmm." What a typical human name, wasn't it? Saphaer stared Buckie down. "How old are you, boy?"

"F-Fourteen." Buckie tipped his head down a bit lower. Saphaer let out a quiet tut. In fae culture, fourteen was barely older than a babe, though humans lived short lives and therefore were forced to grow up much quicker than fae were. Saphaer was a mere two-thousand years old; young and spry, in what his father told him were his best days. So why, he wondered, was he spending his best days in a snobby courtroom while his father retired and frolicked about without him? Saphaer dismissed his thoughts an anger; he needed to focus on the thoughts at hand. "Do you know why you're here, boy?"

"N-No." Buckie shook his head. Saphaer huffed; he was sure that the boy did. He looked up at his steward, who stood by the door, watching and waiting for the meeting to end so that he could go back to his duties. "Why is he here?"

"Thievery." The steward said confidently. "He stole with no bargain, deal, or any of the sort; took a hat right off of the other boy's head, shaming him all the while."

Saphaer looked down at the boy, feeling his face fill with scorn. While his father would've let the young lad go with a bit of memory loss and a slap on the wrist, Saphaer was not his father. He took the morality of things a lot less lightly and didn't appreciate chaos on his borders. He knew that troublemakers like the young boy would lead to problems for everybody, and while he knew that conflict could benefit him, it was not the case this time. "I thought that your rules forbade you from stealing, do they not?"

Buckie did not answer, so Saphaer carried on, "And I believe that you've been warned. I've heard of stories passing around about us, yet you still decided to break this rule. Do you not respect us enough to follow the rules that we gave you?"

Buckie was still. Saphae narrowed his eyes. "That was the question I wanted you to answer."

"N-No-I mean, I-I just, Y-Yes sir, I jsut...I-I didn't believe-"

"He didn't believe!" Saphaer, looked around at his court, letting his contempt fill his expression as he sat back and glared at the greedy boy. "He didn't believe in our rules. Tell me, boy, why did you do it? Surely not because you needed it; your clothing tells me that you are of the higher class. If you are to do such things against our cautions, at least answer me that."

"I..." Buckie winced. "I didn't have a reason."

Saphaer tutted; the boy said this, but it was written all over his face; greed. Clear as day, he had been greedy. Perhaps for power or fame or even to be recognized among his peers. Yet it was still greed, and Saphaer believed that it had to be punished.

"Sir Flaxton and Sir Torren, take him to the servant's chambers. Give him new clothing and show him where he will stay from now on. Task him with helping the stablemasters clean out the stalls for the next month, then assign him to the usual servant duties." Saphaer focused on the boy. "You will not cause me troubles, do you hear?"

"Yes." Buckie nodded.

Saphaer frowned. "And from now on, have a little bit of courtesy. I am your King now; you will address me as such. King Saphaer, Sir, or Your Majesty; any of these shall work. Care to try again?"

"Y-Yes, your Majesty." Buckie dipped his head a little bit lower.

"And be grateful that I was this merciful." Saphaer sat back in his chair. The threat was empty; he didn't punish humans harshly until they fully understood the rules of the fae in the castle. Still, it was good to instill a little bit of fear in them, or else they may develop ideas or rebellion or escape, and while they would fail fairly quickly, it made Saphaer's job much harder. "You will be taken care of as long as you do as you are told. You have a one-year grace period. After that, be careful where you tread." Saphaer flicked his wrist. "Dismissed."

He watched the boy as he was led away and looked over at the steward, who nodded and rushed out of the room. Saphaer said and slumped slightly in his chair; he hated dealing with greedy humans. Sure, there were the kind few, but there were many who just weren't worth his time.