Chapter 21

Saphaer looked around the throne room, at the Unseelie court. He wondered where Cliffton and Moone were. They'd left quite the while ago, long enough ago that a few of the others were beginning to miss them. Saphaer's heart pounded in his chest but he forced himself to calm down. He had done nothing wrong.

Saphaer inhaled and exhaled slowly. He had to have Buckie's final trial, and Naireth would be there. Saphaer wondered what the boy would say. The last he'd seen him, his eyes shone with quiet determination instead of the rash anger that it was before. At the sidelines, two fae spoke in hushed tones. The room practically swelled with magic at their mere presence.

The Dragon King took his seat beside Saphaer. "Good afternoon."

"'Afternoon." Saphaer kept his tone polite and slightly clipped. He stared at the doors as they swung open and Buckie was pulled in. He was in a small portable cell and was fiddling with his hands. His gaze flicked up to Saphaer, and for a moment, they flared with fire. Saphaer held in a shudder. Beside him, he saw Naireth tip his chin down, his eyes glistening with excitement.

"Hello, Buckie." Saphaer blinked at the boy, who met Saphaer's gaze with quiet resolve. "Are you aware why you stand where you do now?"

"Attempted murder and theft." Buckie parroted, strangely calm. Saphaer tried his best to keep back his surprise. Naireth bounced on his feet and Saphaer stood up a bit straighter. "Are you ready for the punishment ahead of you?"

"I am."

"..." Saphaer half-closed his eyes for a moment. "Do you have anything else to say before we begin, Buckie?"

"I'd like to be referred to as Bullseye, sir."

Saphaer opened his eyes at met the boy's gaze. "Alright. Let's begin, shall we?"

One fae stood on either side of the cart and the room got significantly warmer. Both of them closed their eyes and their identical orange-gold antlers glowed brilliantly.

A fire blossomed in the cage and there was a loud scream. Saphaer shut his eyes and took a sip of his drink to try and distract him. His heart fluttered helplessly like a bird in a cage when he saw the fire.

He didn't even realize when it was over. He opened his eyes slowly, trying to be as calm as he could, and in place of the boy that stood before, there was a large, squawking firebird, each of its musical notes filled with pain. Saphaer tried to reach for a link, as most shifters had, and, once he did, sent a quiet rush of apology. Bullseye shook himself and ruffled his feathers before staring directly at Saphaer. A feeling of acceptance came back, although it was tinted with the pain from the fire.

"It is a lot better than it was before." He seemed to say without words.

Saphaer nodded and watched as Buckie was carted out of the throne room.