Chapter 6

Buckie's head swam as he left the throne room, rushing towards the kitchens to fetch the king a glass of water. One of the villages had burned down! Had it been...? No, it couldn't be White Bridge. They had done nothing to anger the dragons!

He frowned and shot a glare over his shoulder as anger flared through him. He had hated the fae king for taking him away from his home, for forcing him into the life of a servant. He perfectly remembered the day that the king looked down at him, his gaze filled with disgust as if he were below him. Buckie would escape somehow, some day.

Around the servant's rooms, he'd adopted the nickname Bullseye, since he was fairly good at throwing darts and always hit his mark. He might as well have it as his name, and it was his only way of escaping this hellish castle.

Buckie had a few friends around the castle; his friend, Stony, a former potionmaster who dealt with poisons and everything of the sort. Laila, one of the castle servants Buckie's age who he'd become friends with as well; Peregrine, his guard friend, a gryphon shifter; Palmer, another human that Buckie had befriended, and a bunch of other humans around the castle.

Buckie paused by Stony's room and pressed the door open slightly. "Stony?"

"What do you want, Bullseye?" Stony got up and walked over, looking at Buckie.

"You got any poisons?" Buckie asked. "Any strong ones?"

"Got plenty." Stony blinked. "Who for?"

"Less you know, the better." Buckie said simply, waiting at Stony's door. He leaned against the frame, pretending to be in a conversation. The less attention he attracted to himself, the better.

"Here ya go, Bullseye." Stony handed Buckie a small green vial and met his eyes. "Be careful, Bullseye. You get caught, yer done for."

"I know." Buckie took the vial, discarding Stony's warning. "Thanks, bye."

Stony waved him off and shut the door, and Buckie walked over to the kitchens. He grabbed a glass and walked over to the water room, connected to a well. He filled up the cup and headed back over to the kitchen counter and slowly poured the vial into the water. Once he was done, he shook the glass until the water was clear again and tossed the vial into a bin.

Buckie passed Lila, one of the other servants, on the way. "Do you know where King Saphaer is? He asked for water."

"I do." Lila nodded and Buckie grinned, handing her the water. "Why don't you take it? I know you don't want to go back to laundry duty."

Lila looked nervous, then nodded. Buckie watched her walk away, carrying the glass, and wiped his hands off on his clothing. If his plan worked, the King would be poisioned and die. Best-case scenario, he'd be sick for a while. Buckie's plan was going into swing, and next he gathered his belongings in a pack and slung it over his shoulder, pulling a cape over his head and walking out into the hallways. They were pretty empty, so Buckie walked down the hall to the left, passing the King's quarters as he did. The King wasn't there, so Buckie peaked in.

He was shocked by what he saw. He'd been expecting a large room full of treasures, but the room was quite simple, aside from the giant bed and large wardrobe, big enough for him to walk in. He spotted something on the table; the necklace the King had been wearing! It had half of a heart and it had the name 'Pheonix' etched into the metal. It must be important to him. Buckie grasped it in his fist and then ran off.