Chapter 8

Saphaer frowned as a servant nudged her way into the room where he and Marce were sharing bread. She paused, uncertainty flashing in her brown eyes before she walked over. "Y-Your water, sir."

Saphaer could tell something was off and he grabbed his glass of water. "What's your name again?"

"Lila, sir." She inclined her head slightly and Saphaer looked up at her. "You may leave."

As Lila left, Marce rose an eyebrow at Saphaer, but the king didn't reply. He looked at the water and inhaled slowly. There; he knew that scent from when he was younger, a night that an assassin had made an attempt on his life. It had failed, thanks to a few guards. The smell was faint, but it was in the water.

Saphaer narrowed his eyes at the poisoned water. Whoever had attempted to poison it was quite idiotic; it would take much more of this to kill him. Still, Saphaer was thirsty, so he downed the water and set it to the side. It tasted foul and he screwed up his face. As another servant walked past, he called them over. "Can you fetch Lila for me, please? Send her to my living quarters."

"What happened?" Marce frowned and Saphaer turned to him. "Somebody made an attempt on my life."

++++

Lila looked confused as she walked into Saphaer's room. She looked around, blinking. "Your Majesty? You called me?"

"Where did you receive that water?" Saphaer asked.

"Oh-Buckie gave it to me." Lila blinked. 

"Were you aware that it was poisoned?" Saphaer tipped his chin down slightly so that he stared directly into her eyes, which widened in shock and horror. "It-It was?! Oh, your Majesty, I'm sorry, I-"

"No matter." Saphaer got to his feet. "Guards? Send for Buckie. And Lila, I recommend checking it next time." He flicked his wrist dismissively and she left. The guards scrambled out of the room, returning not long after with the struggling boy. Saphaer narrowed his eyes as he saw the necklace around his neck. A theif and a murderer.  

"Hello, Buckie." Saphaer flashed a threatening grin. "Fine day, isn't it?"

"Let me go!" The boy thrashed in the guards' grip, his gaze filled with defiance. Saphaer let his smile fall. "Now, if I'm correct, I believe you tried to poison me."

Perhaps the boy could tell he was caught, because he spat, "I hope it takes you soon."

"If you wanted to kill me with poison, you'd need a lot more than that." Saphaer said, blinking. "Tell me, Buckie, why would you do that?"

"You're a monster!" Buckie spat. "You take people from their homes and ruin their lives!"

Saphaer sighed. "I don't do anything to anyone who doesn't deserve it."

"Liar!" Buckie's voice was filled with rage and he squirmed some more. Saphaer narrowed his eyes. "Guards, take him to the prisons while I prepare his punishment." He flashed his most feral smile at the mischievous boy. "I'll be seeing you again soon."