4- Fuckin burden

BRODY WILLS

BRODY WILLS

"BRODY GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE!", I lift my head to the sound of my mothers screaming voice, slowly I make my way off my bed towards my door. I don't know the reasons this time so have no excuse prepared to help me escape the torture I'm making my way towards. I open my door pronouncing my presence in the house with the pound squeak that follow any movement of the hinges. Even a breeze would make this old thing creak.

My feet slowly make their way towards the stairs. A few meters feels like a mile as I timidly move towards the voices downstairs. I climb down the stairs as if I were descending Mount Everest. Careful and cautious. As soon as my feet hit the ground my fast breaths turn into pants. My panic rising a mile a second, not a minute, a second.

I don't know what I've done now, but it wont be something a 16 year old girl shouldn't be allowed to do. I know this for a fact. They always overreact, even Deacon sees it. Deacon is their golden child, I on the other hand am the child they never wanted. Neither of my parents wanted a girl. But here I am to make their life misery. I seem to be good at that.

"HURRY UP AND GET IN HERE"

My slow steps turn into fast shuffles, my body shaking from fear as I enter the kitchen. My mother and father turn to look at me. Pure rage in their eyes as they observe me from head to toe. Probably looking for anything else they need to punish me for. After a visual assessment of me, their rage turns into disgust as they look me in the eyes.

My father takes slow, and steady steps towards me, "you...are a burden upon this family, you live in this home and expect us to give you everything". His voice is menacing as he seethes with anger, yet he keeps a calm façade. That's one thing different about my mother and father, mother shows her anger by screaming and physically showing her aggression, but father, he keeps a calm façade, a mask he uses. In my opinion fathers demeanour is more scary than mothers. You can tell what she is going to do just by her behaviour. Father, well you never know, its all a guessing game. I've got pretty good at guessing over the years. Right now he is pissed at me.

"You deserve punishment for you sins...you will be in hell soon where you deserve to be" he whispers the last part inches away from my face. My eyes gloss over with tears as I listen to their harsh words. My family is very religious, they believe any sin not matter how small or big, can never be forgiven. A single tear drops from my eye as I take in their words. Normally, I listen and cry at their words and wait for my punishment, whether it be no food for a week, even though the rations of food they allow me to have are never enough anyway, sometimes they will hit or whip me as punishment, but only on my stomach or chest as I cannot advertise my sins to others they say.

But this time was different, instead of breaking down crying only a single tear slipped, my short spout of sadness and shame turns into anger as I look up into their eyes. My single act of defiance against them makes them pause for a second from their rampage. Mums eyes flash over with shock, whereas dads show curiosity for a split second before both of them return to their angry state.