8- He had no right

BRODY WILLS

BRODY WILLS

My car boot shuts with a slam as sam starts to make his way over to the passenger side. His hockey gear stored safely in the boot along with my own. He quickly opens the door and slides in next to me, my signal to get the car moving. I don't look at him, keeping my eyes focused on the road.

Sam moved into my spare room last night, not by choice i'll add. Brian turned up at the door around seven, Dom and Sean dragging the poor man into his new home. I stood at the doorway ignoring them. No, I wasn't happy about it, yes, he was moving into the room I designated for my twin brother, no, the boys did not know that information, no, they did not know how guilty I was feeling not stopping them from taking my brothers safe space. 

By the time Sam was fully moved in and the boys had left, I was sat in my living room looking out to the balcony. Deacon doesn't have anywhere to live now when he comes home. My thoughts ran wild as I thought about my biological copy.

Sam entered later on, profusely apologising about the situation we found ourselves in. I didn't want to kick him out, I know he has nowhere to go. Despite, not being against him here, I couldn't help being torn between him or Deacon. On one hand Sam is here right now and Deacon is MIA. But on the other hand Deacon could show up any day.

"It's a nice place you've got here", and here goes the awkward conversation.

"You don't need to be awkward, this is your home now too", my head turns to look at him as he stands by the kitchen island, arms crossed, body tense. He was uncomfortable.

After a few minutes of being uncomfortable Sam slowly started to relax. It was good to see yet the pit in my stomach didn't disappear. I had nowhere to hide now, all my secrets are out in the open here, all he has to do is open the door to the office and my whole life and past would be on show.

I'm not good with secrets. Hate it when people keep them from me, hate it when I keep them from people. The relief I feel when I can be open with someone, its one of the best feelings I've ever had. The only person I could feel that relief with though is now missing, his room taken by someone else. Sometimes, I wish people just knew my secrets without me ever having to tell them. Telling them would be too painful, but that wish will never come true. No one knows, and no one will know. If they do...I'm dead.

As I drive through the streets of the city, my music plays softly through the speakers. Sam quietly humming along to the harmonies. My music choice isn't specific, it ranges from rock to classical. I don't like to be closed off to options. Sam's hums fill my ears, I don't think he even knows he's doing it. I like it though, he sounds good, the melody of his voice comforting me.

We're not far away from the rink when the music stops abruptly. 'Incoming call 07769846372'. I shake my head as he makes a motion towards the screen, saying I can answer it if I want he'll stay quiet.

"Nah its ok, I don't know who it is. If their important i'll have their number already"

As the call rings out unanswered I pull into the players parking, putting the car in its usual spot. We get out quickly and make our way to practise. It's only an easy training today with a team debrief about the game after.