6 - Watch this

BRODY WILLS

BRODY WILLS

The sound of pucks hitting the boards fills my ears, The smell of sweat floods my nose, the taste of the monster I've been drinking all day swims in my mouth, the feeling of the chill from the ice encapsulates my body.

I open my eyes to meet Sam's, he bends down in front of me, stick held out for the face off. A small smile planted on his face as he looks at me, waiting for me to get ready. I bend down for the small battle over the puck. My breathing is slow and deep as I focus. I see the flash of black rubber drop down and my body goes into action. I swipe the puck behind me to chamberlain who receives it with no difficulty.

Standing up we finish the drill we are doing. Simple face offs, if we cant get the basic skills right, why play at all?

It's been a week since the boys turned up at my work, a week since they looked at me without pity. It's fucking annoying. I'm not broken, I'm not hurt. After that day where they discovered what I'm known for, every single one of them found me on social media, followed and then looked through all my public memories I now wish were hidden. I mean it is my fault for having the social media. But its still annoying.

Norris is the only one who hasn't given me pity. After most of the boys left the warehouse a week ago him and Brian started talking. In simple words, they are now besties and Norris has started hanging out with us and learning to dive, properly.

It's nice I wont lie, we've gotten closer and I trust him more than others. I can see him becoming a brother figure to me over time. I wont get my hopes up though.

Hockey training has been going well, our first game is tonight. Wallace says I fit in with the team as if I was the final missing puzzle piece. My blood runs cold as anxiety sets in for tonight. What if I let them down? I cant ruin their reputation? I'm not good enough for this.

Looking up I see Sam's eyes on mine, his eyes brows are furrowed and his face covered in confusion. He nods his head as a silent question, 'you alright?'. Taking a deep breath I nod back. Publicising my anxiety right now is not going to help me. No one wants someone weak on their team. Despite me being strong physically, that is all due to my weak mentality. When I'm sad, workout, when I'm lonely, workout, when I'm angry, workout.

It's not a healthy lifestyle in all honesty, no one needs to know about it though. What they don't know cant hurt them, right?

Sam doesn't accept my small nod as he raises an eyebrow at me, its as if he's saying 'seriously cos you look like shit'. It's these small things he does that make me hate him a little. He always seems to be able to read me, never mind the walls as high as the fucking Eiffel Tower that I put up. He can see right through me and it scares the life out of me. He can know.

I wave him off, "I'm fine, don't worry". I skate away from him, doing my usual, run away when someone tries to get close. Moving towards Norris by the bench. He looks up to me, his eternal smile on his face. He's a mad man, I'm sure of it.