13 - Irresistible

SAM TAHEY

SAM TAHEY

Nothing is the same. It's been nearly a week since the cave rescue. She doesn't talk, she doesn't sleep, she wont eat. All she does is train, smoke, and drink. I haven't seen her smile since last Sunday. Her injuries from the past weeks are still healing, the cuts, scrapes, and bruising mostly gone. The mental pain has only got worse though.

Seeing her walk out that cave with the body of a father felt like a stab to the gut. As if God is trying to stop her success and happiness. Why does this happen to her? Why cant the world let her have her joy?

A lone tear ran down her face as she dragged that body out, the last of her energy being spent on getting the deceased to safety. Since then no more tears have fell, no more emotion was shown. I couldn't read her most of the time. She was just numb. Moving and working, but not living.

She walks around like a ghost, no soul, no character, just empty. The guys and me have been trying our hardest to support her. Fun training sessions, movie nights, making her food, nothing. Not a word, no smile, nada.

At home she is the same, always in her room, office, or the balcony. I've tried to talk to her, to hug her and comfort her. We haven't spoken, touched, only trained together. Every time she pushes me away, as if shes scared her touch would hurt me.

Despite her training all the time now she goes easy on us in practise. Her pace is slower, checks softer, skills blunt. It's not Brody.

Currently, we skate around the ice at our final practise until the games this weekend. The body's of my teammates crowded around me as we skate round the rink. Brody far away as she skates faster pushing her body to the limit. It's not hard to tell that she blames herself for what happened, even after being told it wasn't her fault by us all.

The media isn't helping our case though, every news feed having the spotlight on her. Articles after articles being released on her past, the rescues gone wrong, photos of her walking down the street, meeting people. Everything and anything being put out to the world if it has anything to do with her.

We tell her not to look at the media when we catch her reading it, our attempts unsuccessful as she continues. It will only hurt her more.

Recently the weight on my shoulders feels heavier as I sit around not able to help her. All I can do is watch as she spirals. My angel is falling.

Everyday her phone rings out, someone constantly trying to contact her, desperate for her attention. Whether its press, a friend, or family, none of us know. Brody declines the calls every time, nothing being shown on her face as she does so. No remorse, no pain, no annoyance. It's as if she's blocking every emotion out.As if she refuses to let herself feel, to release the pain and build herself back up again.

Brian and Dom told us its normal for her to block people out for a day or two after a recovery. It's been six. Everyone is concerned, Brian and Dom keeping in contact with the team as Brody becomes our main concern.