17 - One day

BRODY WILLS

BRODY WILLS

I'm angry at Nessa, at myself. At the world for putting me in this life full of obstacles. All I wanted from today was to find my twin, my mind swayed slightly to make Ness my priority, but after her little show, I can't. I can't call her my sister, not when our brother is missing and possibly dead and she writes a whole song blaming the deceased for her pain. Its weak.

I should have known better. She's here for a reason, she'll never tell me what he said. Maybe she'll show me. I've been pushing for her to answer my questions, now I need to watch her carefully. How she acts, who she goes to, how she interacts with people. I'm going to pick her apart piece by piece to find my brother.

I assess her as she walks out the recording booth, her eyes meeting my own as she shakes out her arms, blowing out a deep breath. As if she's releasing tension. So, she is hiding something from me, I already knew it. But that right there confirms it. That song means more than I've been able to figure out, who...

My thoughts are cut off by the warmth of Sam's hand squeezing my own. My eyes connect with the dark irises under the LED lights. He looks deep into my eyes, reading me like a book, his face expressing his realisation.

"So just like that you're going to give up?", his stare bores into me as his tone is accusing, my muscles tense at his attitude. "Brodes, the song proves nothing..."

"It proves she has no respect for the dead", I cut in. "She blames those she's lost for leaving her. Last time I checked she left me and Deac for dead", I whisper to him, my volume low but anger rising.

"She was a child, love. They already lost one family somehow, and the second family they had was fueled by fear. Come on...you know that", he pleads for me to listen as he defends my sister.

My head is a mess, I feel offended and betrayed by Nessa. She disappeared from my life without even a goodbye, and then never came to find me after everything. My name is all over the news; she knew where I was. It hurts. It hurts knowing your own sister left you by choice, knew where you were, and then never made an effort to find you.

But then my heart is screaming out to listen to Sam. She was a child, younger than me at the time, just a small scared little 9-year-old. She had no control of the situation or where she went. Somehow, she has ended up in a psychiatric ward. Something happened to her if she is using drugs to run away from something. But what is she running from? I have so many questions, yet so much anger.

I can't decide what to do. Be her sister, care for her, help her get better. Or, be her interrogator, get the information and then go. If I stay in her life and help her, I could bring back together the family I lost. If I interrogate her, I get the information I need about my twin, I avoid the drama surrounding her and save myself the grief of dealing with a mentally ill and addict sister.

I'm torn away from my thoughts by the very person I think about. Her voice is rougher after all these years, deeper than before, as if time has taken away the sweet little girl I used to live with.