3. Depression

THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SIGNS AND MENTIONS OF DEPRESSION AND SELF HARM.

December 7th, 2020
4:17pm

Sam and Devyn had been chatting about nothing for about 15 minutes now. They haven't talked to each other in months, so it was very pleasent for both of them.

However Devyn's mind still raced thinking about how Sam has been feeling. She remembered what he said when they entered his house:

"I'm sorry if my house is really messy. This whole pandemic thing got me really down and I didn't really have any energy to clean anything"

She was wondering how low his state was.
And if there was a way she could help him get through this.

"Hey, Sam?" she almost whispered. "Yeah, what's up?" Sam responded, slightly confused at the change of tone.

"How've you been? I mean, actually. You said the 'pandemic got you down' and I can't stop thinking about it. Do you want to share? Can I help in any way?"

She stopped cleaning and looked down at the ground, fidgeting her fingers. Sam had also stopped cleaning to look at Devyn.

"Devyn, I-" he began, cutting himself off.
"I'm sorry. I've just been..." He stopped to think about how he should phrase his words. "Depressed?" Devyn asked.

"Yeah. Depressed. I don't know. Every day I wake up at 2pm, after long nights of getting no sleep at all." His mind starts racing. "It's gotten to the point where I just can't take anything anymore." He says, pulling down his hoodie's sleeves.

Devyn noticed the action and looked at Sam, her eyes starting to tear up.

"Sam..." she says cautiously. Her eyes meeting Sam's, tears starting to roll from both of their eyes.

"I'm sorry, Devyn. I know I shouldn't have done this and I'm really sor-" Sam started, getting cut off by Devyn's arms around him. He hugged her back, and placed his chin on top of her head. He started rubbing comforting circles on her back as they continued hugging each other.

Devyn started sobbing lightly into his hoodie. Her legs started shaking as she tightened the hug and nuzzled into Sam's covered chest.

The hug lasted forever. But as they pulled away Sam just felt like it shouldn't have ended. He didn't mention it though. He didn't want Devyn to feel uncomfortable.

Sam swiped his nose with his hoodie and sniffled. "We should probably get back to cleaning." He said. "Yeah. I'm sorry, Sam. If I made you uncomfortable or anything like that" Devyn said. "It's okay. Honestly I needed that hug." Sam said as he smiled at Devyn, both of their eyes red from tearing.

4:50pm

Sam and Devyn had just finished cleaning the house. All that was left was taking out the trash and cleaning the porch but neither of them wanted to do that.

They sat on the couch just staring at each other, smiling.

"Thanks for coming over and helping me, Dev. I appreciate it" Sam said, slightly chuckling. "Any time, Sammy. Any time." Devyn replied.

"Hey, I've been thinking," Sam started "what if we threw a little party? For our friends? It can be you, me, Kat, Corey, and anyone, really! I haven't gone to a house party in a while." He said. Devyn's eyes lit up as she nodded excitedly. "Yeah!!! That would be awesome!" She said.

Suddenly, Devyn's ringtone started playing. She got up and grabbed her phone to check who was calling. She looked at Sam, motioning him if she could answer the phone. Sam nodded with a slightly confused look.

"Hey baby!! How are you?" Devyn said, putting her girlfriend on Speaker. Sam realised it was Kat on the other end. "I'm doing gooood, thank you! Just finished work and I'm about to head home. Do you want me to pick you up and we can hang out?" Kat said.

"Actually, I was just about to ask you something!" Devyn said excitedly. "Oh? What would that be, love?" Kat asked, sounding confused and a little scared of the response she might get.

"I'm at Sam's right now, because I helped him clean up, and we were wondering if you'd like to come to our little house party!" Devyn asked with a smile.

"Oh! Uh, yeah! Of course I would! When is it?" Kat asked, you could hear her car turning on through the phone's speakers. "Uhmmm" Devyn looked at sam. "Today maybe? like 8pm?" Sam suggested. "Today at 8pm" Devyn repeated, talking to Katrina.

"Alright, I'll be there! Who else is coming?" Katrina asked. "We don't really know yet, but if you want you can invite someone! As long as it isn't like 5 people because we JUST cleaned the house" Sam said, speaking loudly so Kat could hear him.

"Alright, sounds good! Bye guys!" Katrina said "Bye!!!" Both Sam and Devyn replied at the same time. Sam was waving, for some reason, even though he knew it was just a voice call. Devyn giggled at Sam for doing so.

"Oh yeah, Sam! Can I invite my friend Jake? He's also 22 so we could. You know. Get drunk or something", Devyn said, half jokingly. "I mean, yeah why not!" Sam responded, Devyn was quite surprised.
But she wasn't complaining.

"Alright then! I think I'll go to Kat's house to get ready, and we'll arrive together! I'll send Jake your number, if you want" Devyn said, going to Sam's room and grabbing her shoes and bag. "Yeah that's fine with me!" He said, getting up to lock the door after Devyn.

"Thank you, again. Genuinely, I didn't know how much I needed to spend time with someone." Sam said. Devyn smiled and brought Sam in for another hug. "Of course. If you need me, you always know where to find me!" Devyn said. They both chuckled and Sam closed the door, locking it behind Devyn.

Sam quickly grabbed the trash bags, unlocking the door again to throw them away. He went back into his house and plopped down on his couch, grabbing his phone to message Corey about the party.