9. Girlfriend

May 15th, 2021
6:00pm

Sam had just arrived back home, after two agonizingly long shifts. He was exhausted, but happy that those were his last shifts, as of now.

He quit both of his jobs, just leaving the editing, and he was happy he did so.

Going to IHOP and retail every day for months was more exhausting than he had expected.
He was glad to know the next day would be easier on him; mentally, and physically.

May 16th, 2021
10:20am

Colby woke up with an awful headache. He wasn't sure why, since he had no recollection of doing anything that may have caused this the day before.

He sat up in his bed, opening his eyes and immediately shutting them as his head pounded in agonizing pain.
He forced his eyes shut and swiftly moved his hand and grabbed multiple locks of purple-brown hair, slightly tugging on them without noticing.

He heard a noise outside his bedroom.
Assuming it was Jake, he mumbled through what voice he had "Jake come in".

He heard shuffling, then footsteps, which stopped at the door. A few too many seconds of silence passed, as Colby started to worry that it may have not been Jake - since if it were, he would have already came into the room, shouting or dancing, anything of that sort.

3 knocks.

Colby opened his eyes and let go of his hair, looking up at the door as it slowly opened.

Standing outside of his room, and on the other end of the now opened door, a woman stood.
Someone he had never seen before.

She had long blue hair, curled at the tips.
She was a bit shorter than him, and she looked in her twenties.

Her eyes widened at the shirtless Colby sitting on his bed.

"Hi. Sorry for the uhm... Sudden appearence. I'm Ashley." she stepped into the bedroom.

Colby assumed it may have been Jake's girlfriend, but he was confused on why Jake didn't tell him.

He knows Jake and Tara broke up right before they went to jail, and he knows how badly it affected Jake.
He was wondering if Jake had already found some new girl to date.

"Colby" he introduced himself.
Ashley stepped closer towards him.

Colby noticed what she was wearing.
It was his merch.

'Jake surely gave her a hoodie. But the pants...'

He started to worry.
He had given Jake hoodies before, but never pants. Had Jake bought his merch without Colby ever noticing?

Or could Ashley be something else, rather than Jake's girlfriend?

No, that's crazy. There's no way someone found his address.
Well, obviously, he's a YouTuber. There's a high chance he could have been doxxed without notice. People do that.
That got him spiraling. He ran his hand through his hair, trying to collect his thoughts.

It wasn't until he felt pressure on the foot of his bed, and someone rubbing his calf when he noticed he was zoning out.

He swiftly moved his leg away, ripped off his blanket and stood up, as he stared at the smiling woman sitting on his bed.

"What are you doing?" He asked.
She just smiled.

Ashley got off of his bed, and stepped closer towards Colby.

He took a step back, hitting his back against the handle of his closet door.
Ashley's smile widened, as she walked around Colby's bedroom, touching and grabbing random objects off of his nightstand, vanity, and desk.

"Ashley, stop touching my shit." he demanded.
She giggled, and continued.

"Or get out of my room." he then added, walking towards Ashley and gripping her arm.

His stark blue eyes making direct eye contact with Ashley's dark brown eyes, which shone under the sunlight entering from his open window.

She turned to Colby, and placed her hand on his cheek.

He slapped her hand off, and let go of her other arm.

"Get the fuck out of my room, Ashley." He demanded, pointing towards his door.
He was now sure it wasn't, infact, Jake's girlfriend.

She scurried towards the door and out of the house, as Colby walked behind her and locked the door.
He sat down on his couch, trying to comprehend what had just happened.

He laid back and sighed, sitting there for a few moments before going back to his room and changing into normal clothing.

He unplugged his phone from the charger, unlocking it and dialing Jake's phone number.

ring...
ring...
ring...

No answer. Colby thought it was strange, considering Jake was probably awake, and he would always answer Colby's calls.

'Maybe hes filming'
Colby thought.
Eventually, he just decided to wait until Jake calls back.

Two hours had passed, yet Colby still didn't recieve a call-back from Jake.
So he decided to go to his house instead of waiting.

Colby knocked on Jake's door.
no answer.
He knocked again.
no answer.
He started worrying, calling Devyn.

"Hey Colby!" she spoke
"Hey, Devyn, you don't happen to know where Jake is, right?" Colby immediately said.
"He's sleeping. Why? What's up?" Devyn sounded worried.

Colby let out a sigh of relief, knowing his friend wasn't in danger.

"Colby?" Devyn asked.
"Yeah. Sorry. He just wasn't answering and I got worried. It's all good." Colby said.
"Oh! Alright then. Do you want me to give you the key to his house?" Devyn questioned.
"No, it's all good. I have it, don't worry. Thanks, Devyn" Colby replied.
"Alright. I have to go now, have a great day, Colby!" Devyn said, her voice bubbly and soothing.
"Thanks, Dev. You, too!" He said, ending the call and reaching into his pocket to take out the keys to Jake's house.

He entered the house, locked the door behind him and sat on Jake's sofa, waiting for him to wake up.

"Colby?" he looked up from his phone to see a tired Jake approaching from his room. "Hey, brother. How'd you sleep?" Colby asked, putting his phone in his pocket.

"Not very well. What's up?" Jake sat down on the opposite side of the couch where colby was sitting and sighed, putting his hands behind his head.
Colby's face melted into a worried expression.

"You good, man? You seem off. What happened yesterday?" Colby asked in a quiet tone.

"Just a long day, that's all. I'm alright, don't worry" Jake said, looking at Colby.
"How about you? What are you doing here so early?" he added.

"Early? Jake it's..." he started, but trailed off, looking at his phone for a moment and closing it again "12pm. When did you get home last night?" Colby finished.

"Oh, uhm, like, 2am?" Jake sighed again.
"I was at the club again" he added.

"Didn't you say you wanted to stop going to clubs, man?" Colby asked.
"Yeah... Well uhm, I tried, but, since we came back from jail I've just been trying to take my mind off of things." Jake said, looking at Colby.
"Oh, brother..." Colby said, patting the couch, signaling Jake to come closer.

Jake scooted closer to Colby and put his head on his lap.

They both sighed.
Colby pulled Jake into a soothing hug.
It lasted for a while. Seconds, maybe minutes of comfortable silence, the only sounds being heard were their breaths, and the busy street noises, coming through the window.

The door bell rang.
Jake groaned and stood up to open the door.

"Hi" the person Colby couldn't see spoke.
"Hello" Jake said, hesitantly. "Who are you?" he added.

Colby's failed attempt to peek outside the door came to an end as the person, Ashley, walked past Jake and into his house.