22.

"you- you're what?" nova asked, thinking she had misheard the woman.

"i'm pregnant..." melissa repeated, scared for what the woman in front of her was going to react like.

"okay," nova said, still processing. "is it your husbands?"

"of course it is, nova. are you serious?"

"im sorry! i didn't mean it like that, i just- i am in shock right now."

nova tilted her head slightly, and melissa nodded for her to say what she was wondering.

"were you trying for a baby?" nova asked cautiously.

"no, but neither of us are particularly upset about it."

"but are you excited?" the woman finally realized something. "wait, are you keeping it?"

"well, i don't know. we were thinking of putting her up for adoption, but we might keep her?" melissa responded, tears beginning to prick her eyes.

"oh, mel." nova said sympathetically, bringing her friend into a hug.

once her friend had calmed down, they pulled back from the hug.

"wait," nova said slowly, realizing something. "you said her. is it a girl?"

"oh! no, we have no idea the gender. i just kind of have a feeling, you know?" melissa said, looking at her friend.

nova nodded, and the two woman began talking about life.

about two hours later, nova was leaving her best friends home.

"i had an amazing time, mel. thank you so much for the food and everything." nova thanked, hugging her friend again.

"bye nova! i'll miss you."

nova began getting into her car, and had already started driving when she felt tears pricking her eyes.

she quickly blinked them away. she already missed her friend so much, and if she were being truthful to herself, she really, really wanted kids of her own.

but obviously, that was mostly up to taylor. the brunette was over aware of her partners public status, and she knew bringing a baby into the mix would probably only make things harder.

nonetheless, she decided to call taylor, not knowing what else to do.

"hey honey. how was hanging out with melissa?" the blonde greeted, and there was noise in the background, which confused nova.

"where are you?" nova asked, but her voice cracked so taylor knew something was up.

"i'm in my jet, what's wrong?" she quickly wondered, not wanting her girlfriend to be upset.

"i just- hanging out with mel made me realize how much i want children! but of course, i know, it's like, twenty five percent my decision and seventy five yours, but i really, really want kids, tay."

"and don't get me wrong, i would be completely fine if i died just beside you, not having any kids or anything, maybe a thousand or so cats, but like, i really want a family."

at this point, taylor was super confused. number one, how had her trip to see her best friend made her realize this? and two, why was it mostly her decision in the brunettes eyes?

"oh," taylor whispered. "melissa is pregnant, isn't she."

"yes!" nova cried.

"honey, it's equally your decision as much as it is mine to have children, if not even more of your decision." taylor reassured the younger woman over the phone.

nova smiled at that, thinking, but choosing to ignore, the fact that taylor was just saying that to cheer her up.

"yeah. also, you owe me." taylor frowned, furrowing her eyebrows together.

"wait, what do i owe you for?" taylor chuckled.

"for not coming with me to california." nova stated, coming to a red light.

"okay, fair enough. what do i owe you?" taylor asked, standing up.

"you tell me. i don't know what i deserve. well, i do, but i dont want to sound too cocky-"

"how about, if we ever do have a child, i will change their diaper during the night five times extra whenever you want me to." taylor said, mostly joking but with a serious tone.

"oh, on top of you changing all of the other diapers? sounds like a deal to me." nova smirked, turning the corner.

"you little shit!" taylor exclaimed, but was quickly replied with a 'goodbye' from her girlfriend as she hung up.

nova had arrived at the hotel she was staying in, walking inside and entering the elevator.

once she had gotten to her floor, she went straight to the bed and lied down.

she was scrolling mindlessly on instagram when she got a notification.

it was a notification from perezhilton.com, ugh.

the brunette clicked on the link, and it sent her to an article titled, "TAYLOR SWIFT: A New Fling! Is It a Lesbian Thing?"

obviously it was eye catching, and nova couldn't help but be impressed with how absolutely terrible the title was.

the woman groaned, going straight to her texts.

"hey, did you see the new article on perezhilton.com?" she whispered to herself as she typed.

almost immediately, taylor had read the message and was already responding.

"not yet, i don't have internet right now and honestly, i don't care."

nova was about to reply when another text was sent by the blonde.

"send me a screenshot?"

nova laughed, going back to the website to take a screenshot for her girlfriend.

once she sent it, she could see taylor in her mind throwing her head back groaning.

"that's so stupid! what kind of title is that? honestly. it's embarrassing how others make money off of me."

nova looked at the text, then up at the ceiling fan spinning above her.

she was contemplating sending the next text, and she decided to send it.

"i mean, are they wrong though?"

nova pressed send, and immediately cringed.

"sorry, babe. that sounded rude, it's none of their business."

the brunette sent that quickly before taylor responded to her initial message.

nova went back to instagram, but as usual, there was nothing new on her feed, so she went to another app.

she played crossy road for a bit before realizing how late it already was.

it was only midnight in california, but that meant it was three in the morning back in new york.

she put her phone on the charger, placing it on the nightstand, and closed her eyes.

gosh, she couldn't wait to be back in new york.