Prologue

"Dominic, do be serious." Ron said to his son. "Dad, I can't talk to Maverick after what he did to Bradley, for fuck sakes dad, he could've done it to me." Dominic said as he check himself out in the mirror. "Wasn't you an ass to him back when you went to Top Gun." Dominic added. Ron shook his head.

"Yes... but you and I know, Maverick and I settled things but you and I know, Iceman probably forbid it."  Ron said. "Yeah he should've forbid it for Rooster, doesn't Iceman supposedly have Maverick on a leash?" Dominic asked as his father's snorted a bit before he shook it off. "Iceman gets Maverick out of trouble, personality a little too much, but I don't know if you knew about this." Ron said as he sighed. "Knew about what?" Dominic questioned looking at his father.

"His Cancer... it's back."

..........

"Dominic "Hawkeye" Kerner, The son of Ron "Slider" and The late Jill Kerner." Cyclone said. Maverick was in complete shock. "His son became a pilot?" Maverick questioned him. "One of the top in his class along with Rooster." Cyclone added. Maverick sighed. "Explains why he hasn't spoken to me... besides him and Rooster has always been close since they were kids." Maverick said.

"I figured you two would be close." Cyclone said once more. "We started distancing when his mother passed when he was fifteen, then the Rooster thing, we haven't spoken since." Maverick said as he looked at both Hawkeye's and Rooster's photos.

..........

"How's Sarah handling it?" Dominic asked, trying to handle the news. "Sarah... she's strong but devastated." Ron said to his son. Ron thought back on the letter Dominic received a week ago, "So you been called back to Top Gun." Ron said to his son. "Yeah, don't know what for, gotta be some kind of mission." Dominic said.

"The best of the best... that's who will be called to this mission, it's gotta be a dangerous one." Ron said. "Yeah, don't worry, I will come home safely.... I promise." He assured his father. "I know." Ron said. Then He looked over his son's uniform and hummed. "Let me guess. Your meeting up at the Hard deck?" Ron questioned and Dominic nodded.

"You have fun tonight... don't over do it on the drinking son." Ron said sternly which caused Dominic to chuckle a bit. "I won't but someone might, I'll see you soon." Dominic said as he patted his father on the shoulder as he walked out of the house.

Ron sighed as he thought back on the visit that he had with Tom a week ago.

.........

a week ago...

Ron sat across from Tom. "So Dominic received his letter that he has been call back to Top Gun." Ron said and Tom hummed. "I know... many have been called back."  Tom said.

Then Ron looked at Tom. "You know who's teaching them this mission?" Ron asked but Tom stayed silent. "It's Maverick... isn't it?" Ron questioned and Tom nodded which caused Ron to sigh. 

"Is there... a problem?" Tom asked. "Not with me, but Dominic." Ron answered. "Dominic and Maverick were close, you knew that. After Jill passed, He and Maverick began to distance there selves away. What did it? When Maverick decided to pull Nick's son papers. Oh that made Dominic anger, he and Maverick hasn't spoken since. I know him and Bradley... not going to be very happy when they learn it's Maverick teaching them." Ron explained.

Tom sighed, "He's the only choice, besides We saw how he taught at Top Gun." Tom said. "I know, I know... I won't bring a word of this to Dominic. I believe him and Rooster can solve there differences with Maverick, like my son said, he shouldn't have done it to began with. Like me and you know, He did this to protect him, to prevent history to repeat itself... but he can't stop that boy from achieving his dreams." Ron explained and Tom sighed. 

............

Ron sighed at the thought of that conversation. "Please let things go a well." Ron said to himself.