9

It's showtime

Hawkeye's mind wandered all night.

The conversation he had face to face with his dad the night before was stuck in his head and kept replaying over and over again.

.........

"No matter what happens son, love you so much." Ron said to his son. "Love you too dad... I will come home." Dominic said. "I know you will son, but you and I know, I can't help but worry for you." Ron said.

"I'm all you got... Dad I promise you." Dominic said. "I know... I know." Ron said.

..............

Hawkeye sighed as he kept thinking about it, then Maverick, Cyclone and Warlock walked into room, then stood in front of them. Maverick had cleared his throat before speaking.

"It's been an honor flying with you. Each of you represents the best of the best. Which this mission only few can go, this was a difficult choice to make but this decision was solely based off of who would not only be able to handle the mission but to get the mission done." Maverick explained. 

"Choose your two foxtrot teams." The Admiral starts, nobody moving a muscle. "Payback and Fanboy, Phoenix and Bob." Maverick starts. Phoenix and Bob looked at each other in response. Payback and Fanboy continued to look forward. "And your two wingmen." Maverick looked at Rooster then at Hawkeye. He was confused when Maverick looked at him before the man took a breathe.

"Rooster and Hawkeye." Maverick replied. "The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that's required. Dismissed." Admiral said. 

Hawkeye took a breath, "Damn... I'm going on this mission." He muttered to himself.

........

They decided time to target would be two minutes and thirty seconds, Hawkeye's mind was still wondering as he was walking to his plane, she saw Hangman, He was expecting the snarky comment coming but instead he puts a hand on his shoulder. "Give em' hell, Hawkeye" He tells him. "Without a doubt, I'll sure as hell will." Hawkeye said. 

Then he saw Phoenix as Hangman went to Rooster. She made eye contact with him, he took a breathe then he walked over to her. "So you and Rooster are Maverick's wingman?" Phoenix said. "Yeah... I thought for certain neither of us was going, or myself for sure." Hawkeye said. Phoenix stared at him. "You are one of the best among us, it would have been insane if you weren't chosen for this mission." Phoenix said. "Come home safely." Hawkeye said. "Follow your own advice Kerner. You owe me a date after this." Phoenix said and Hawkeye's cheeks had redden. "That's right... well you better have a place chosen because where you choose, we are going." Hawkeye said and she smiled. "Oh I will." She told him and He smiled at her.

He looked up and saw Rooster. "Go on." Phoenix said as she patted his shoulder. He nodded and walked over to his childhood best friend.

"Wow... We are his wing men." Hawkeye said. "Yep, great duo if you ask me." Rooster said. "Indeed for sure." Hawkeye said then his eyes wander to Maverick. "Hey Roost... we should talk to Maverick you know." Hawkeye said, Rooster looked at Hawkeye. "Yeah..." Rooster said, then he started to walk over to Maverick as Hawkeye had followed.

"Maverick!' Both Hawkeye and Rooster called out which he looked over at them. "I uh.." Rooster said then becoming speechless not knowing what to say, Hawkeye had no words to say to the man. Then they call everyone to their planes. "Three of us... we'll talk, when we get back." Maverick said to the both of them. They both nodded. As they both started to walk away, "Hey, Bradley and Dominic!" Maverick called out which caused them to both look back at him. "You two got this!" He called out and they nodded.

As they came up to Rooster's plane, Rooster looked at Hawkeye. "Stay safe out there." Rooster said. "You too." Hawkeye said as they gave each other a fist bump. As Hawkeye was walking to his plane. He saw Phoenix, she looked at him as He looked at her. They nodded at each other then Hawkeye approached his plane, saluting before hopping in.

He looked over everything to make sure everything was working fine and that the mission would go according to plan, a success.

He sighed as he made sure everything was fine. "You alright Hawkeye, never took you to be nervous type?" Hondo asked him. He nodded. "Yeah, but stressed... I hope everything goes well." He replied. "They have you as a wing man... it will go well... besides Maverick wouldn't have chosen you for one of his wing men if he didn't have faith in you, when you realize it or not, your a hell of a pilot." He said to Hawkeye. "Well that's true, one thing for certain, I better get a promotion." Hawkeye said and Hondo chuckled. "You deserve one but you got this." Hondo said. "Thanks but make sure, if I don't make it back, make sure Phoenix, Rooster, Maverick... my dad are okay." Hawkeye said "Of course, good luck out there, I have so much faith in you, you'll make it home, but good luck." He said as he patted his shoulder leaving Hawkeye alone.

"You got this Hawkeye." He muttered to himself. Then he pulled out the locket which contain a photo of his mom. "I know certain times, I think negative but I promise mom, I will come home to dad.... to Rooster... Maverick.... Phoenix.... damn I love that woman so much... I need to tell her." Hawkeye said as he closed it and clutched the locket tightly, then he put the locket back inside of his pocket then pulled up to the catapult.

........