8

The impossible is possible

Hawkeye met Maverick the next morning just as he asked. "Okay old man, what's the plan?" Hawkeye asked. "Would you stop calling me that." Maverick said. "You and I know that isn't happening anytime soon." Hawkeye said as he silently chuckled while Maverick glared.

"But seriously Maverick what is the plan?" Hawkeye asked. "Well, I'll lead and you follow... You'll get a lock on the target, besides I have no doubt you won't fail because, you are one of the pilots who have came pretty close to hitting the target." Maverick said.

"Well, lets get this show started then." 

................

"Captain Mitchell is no longer your instructor and as of today there are new mission parameters. Time to target is now Four minutes. You'll be entering the valley level at reduced speed, not to exceed 420 knots." Cyclone said to everyone. Everyone looked at each other, Glory and Dove noticed that Hawkeye was missing. "Where the hell is Hawkeye?" Glory asked as Dove sighed.

"Sir, won't we be giving their planes time to intercept." Bob asked.  "Well lieutenant you have a fighting chance against enemy aircraft. What are the odds of surviving a head on collusion with a mountain. You'll be attacking the target from a higher altitude level with a north wall. It's gonna be little harder to keep your laser on target but you will avoid the high g climb out." Cyclone said. "Out here sitting ducks for the enemy's missiles." Fanboy said.

Cyclone noticed Hawkeye was missing but before he could even question it, two F-18s appeared on the screen which caught everyone's attention. "Who the hell is that?" Cyclone questioned.

"Maverick and Hawkeye to range control, entering point alpha, confirm green range." Maverick said. "Uh Maverick and Hawkeye range control, uh green range is confirmed... I don't see an event scheduled for the both of you." Hawkeye smiled a bit. "Well, we are going anyways." Hawkeye said. "Nice." Phoenix muttered.

"Setting time to target, Two minutes and fifteen seconds." Maverick called out. "2:15 that's impossible." Payback said. "Hawkeye, I hope you know what you are doing." Glory said. Dove looked over at him, "He's got this, I know that for certain." Dove replied.

"File attack point, Maverick and Hawkeye Inbound." Maverick said. "You ready for this Hawkeye?" Maverick asked him. "Getting in a heap of shit with you, yeah... but this will be worth it." Hawkeye said. Then Maverick pulled his plane down as Hawkeye followed.

They all watched them go through the course "For an old timer, you sure as hell know how to fly still yet but what can I say, your Maverick. You can do anything they throw at you." Hawkeye said. Maverick couldn't help but smile a bit. they came up to Minute and thirty seconds on the timer.

"You good up there Maverick?" Hawkeye asked. "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" He questioned him. "Geez, I am allow to be caring you know." Hawkeye said. "No, you want to find out of a way to call me old." Maverick said. "I was not!" Hawkeye exclaimed. Rooster shook his head. "You were too." Rooster mumbled. Phoenix chuckled.

Then it hit thirty seconds on the time, everyone was tensed at this time. "Popping, in three, two one!" Maverick called out as he did then Hawkeye followed. He huffed as he began getting a lock on sight of the target. "Come on now..." He mumbled.

Hawkeye's eyes widen as he got insight, he made lock on the target. "Bombs away!" He called out then he and Maverick pulled up.

"Holy shit." He said as he groaned as he felt the force hitting him, he kept an eye on the target, then he got a direct hit, with sixteen seconds to spare. "Bullseye, holy shit!" Fanboy exclaimed as he jumped out of his seat. "Way a go Hawkeye." Glory said. "He and Maverick prove..." Dove said. "That Maverick's way is possible for this mission." Phoenix finished.

"Damn." Hangman all could say.  Maverick and Hawkeye took off their masks. "You good back there kid?" Maverick asked. "Yeah, I wonder how much heap of shit I'm going to be in." Hawkeye replied. "No.. No, I'll take the blame." Maverick said. "Iceman isn't here to save your ass, you know." Hawkeye said. "I know."  

"Just like his dad." Cyclone thought.

...........

While Maverick walked to Cyclone's office, Hawkeye walked in the classroom and everyone stared at him. "You have officially lost your mind." Coyote said. "But he and Maverick did it." Phoenix said as she smiled at Hawkeye then he smiled back at her.

"Question is, How much trouble is Maverick going to be in?" Dove asked. "Hopefully none, because Him and Hawkeye proved his way will work for the mission." Glory said.

............... 

"You along with Slider's son have put me a difficult position captain..On the one hand, you and Hawkeye have demonstrated that this mission can be flown, perhaps the only way it can be survived. On the other hand, you two did it by stealing two multi million dollar military aircrafts and flying them in such a manner that may never be airworthy again." Cyclone explained.

"Iceman is no longer here, I have everything I need to have you court-martial and dishonorably discharged, Hawkeye won't pay the piper for this." Cyclone said. Maverick stood still.

"So, What do I do? Risk the lives of my pilots and perhaps the success of this mission or risk my career by appointing you as mission team leader and Hawkeye be a part of this team on this mission?" Cyclone asked as he looked back at Maverick.

"Sir..." Maverick started. "I think the admiral's asking a rhetorical question here, captain." Warlock said and Maverick nodded. Cyclone nodded back at him.