6

Two Miracles 

Hawkeye pondered as he looked outside the window. His thoughts wonder on last night when he spent time with Phoenix.

He wonder where everything was going to go between them, would he be able to admit his feelings to her, but the question was, will she feel the same way about him.

Those thoughts had to be pushed to the side when Maverick and Warlock came into the room and made their way to the front of the room.

"The uranium enrichment plant will be operational earlier than expected. Raw uranium will be delivered to the plant in ten days' time. As a result, the mission has moved up one week." Admiral Bates explained to everyone. Hawkeye furrowed his brows, while Glory and Dove looked at each other.

"Sir, no one here has successfully flown a low-level course." Coyote stated. "Nevertheless, you've been ordered to move on." Admiral Bates responded before Maverick took his spot up front.

"We have one week left to focus on phase two; it is the most difficult stage of the mission. It's a pop-up strike with a deep dive requiring nothing less than two consecutive miracles." Maverick said. A simulation appeared on the screen behind Maverick. It showed the inverted dive that two single and two double F-18s would be required to make to reach the target.

"Your target is an impact point less then three meters wide. The two-seat will mark the target with the laser bullseye. This will allow the single to drop a guided bomb into the reactor through an exposed ventilation hatch. This creates the opening the second pair. That's miracle number one. The second team will deliver the kill shot to destroy the target. That's miracle number two. If either team misses the target, the mission is a failure." Maverick explained.

The screen behind Maverick changed to display the required steep climb out of the mountain or as Maverick referred to it as Coffin Corner.

"A climb at that speed will have you pulling at least 8 Gs." Hangman responded. "Nine, Minimum." Maverick responded. "The stress limit of an F-18 airframe is 7.5 Gs." Rooster noted.

"That is the accepted limit. To survive this mission, you will need to pull beyond that even if it means bending your airframe. You'll be pulling so hard, that you'll weigh close to two thousand pounds. Your skull will feel like it's crushing your spine and your lungs will implode like an elephant sitting on your chest, fighting with everything you have to keep from blacking out and this is where you'll be most vulnerable." Maverick explained. Hawkeye bit the inside of his cheek as he stared at the screen.

"Assuming you avoid crashing into this mountain. You'll climb straight into enemy radar while losing all airspeed. Within seconds, you'll be fired upon by enemy SAMs. It'll be a dogfight all the way home." Maverick explained as he pointed to screen.

"This is going to take you and your aircraft to a breaking point." Maverick added. "Sir, is this achievable?" Phoenix asked, this was on Hawkeye's mind as well. "The answer to that question will come down to the pilot in the box." Maverick responded to her.

"Pilots, prepare for take for take off. You've been briefed on phase two, time to give it run." Admiral Simpson said to from the back. Everyone headed to the locker room.

................

"Damn it." Hawkeye muttered as he made his way to medical wing. He booked it over there as soon as he heard. 

He approached the nurse's desk. "Lieutenant Hawkeye, what brings you by?" She asked him. "I'm here for Natasha Trace and Robert Floyd." He replied. "Down the hall, to the left third door in." She replied. "Thank you." Hawkeye said and Nurse smiled. Then he walked down to their room, he knocked on the door which made the two pilots whipped their heads at the man. 

"Thank... goodness." Hawkeye said as he made his way to them. He hugged Bob first then he held onto Phoenix and didn't want to let go of the woman. "You two scared the shit out of me." Hawkeye said as Phoenix rubbed her hand up and down his back. "I'm sorry, I tired to get it under control." Phoenix said.

"I know, I know. You two were calm about it. That's the best you can do in a situation like that, Be calm and figure out the best you can." Hawkeye said as he then pulled away then sat in the chair that was in between both of their beds. 

"They are going to keep us over night, just to play it safe." Bob said. "That's good thing, better safe then sorry." Hawkeye said. "Have you heard from your father today?" Phoenix asked then Hawkeye looked at the woman.

"You adore my dad, don't you?" Hawkeye asked and Phoenix smiled. "He's pretty awesome." Phoenix said. Hawkeye smiled then frown. "I haven't which is strange, I would have heard from him by now, I hope everything's alright." Hawkeye said. "Something probably came up, he'll contact you as soon as he can." Bob said. "Your right, that does happen sometimes." Hawkeye said. 

Then they heard a knock on the door. "Oh Hawkeye what a surprise." Cyclone said. "I had to make sure they were doing alright." Hawkeye said, Both Bob and Phoenix smiled at him. 

"Well I am hear to bring bad news, especially for Hawkeye." Cyclone said. Phoenix looked at him. "Is everything alright with my dad?" Hawkeye asked. "Slider is fine, it's Iceman." Cyclone said. Hawkeye sighed. "He's gone... isn't he?" Hawkeye asked. "I'm afraid so." Cyclone said. 
"That's... that's why my father hasn't answer his phone?" Hawkeye said as his voice cracked. "Yes... Training is cancel for the service, I give you some time, Rest well Floyd and Trace." Cyclone said as he left the room. 

"Hawkeye?" Bob asked. Phoenix's heart broke. Hawkeye let out a few tears. Phoenix couldn't help but hold him as he began to sob. "I'm so sorry Dominic.. I know how much you adored Iceman." Phoenix said as He wrapped his arms around her. He sobbed more as she held onto her. "We're here for you." Bob said.

............