07. JULIET AND THE TENSE ATMOSPHERE

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖉
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖉* * *

December 1977

"Well. We're screwed." Regulus stated blankly after their hundred and seventh attempt to destroying the locket.

"Don't say that, we're not done yet."

It had been two days since they had been hiding deep in the forest, trying every spell they could think of, and thus multiple times. The atmosphere felt tense, both best friends were doing their best not to snap at each other because really, they could tell something didn't feel right.

"You know any spells I don't know of?" He raised an eyebrow at her.

"Are you suggesting I wouldn't? Don't underestimate my abilities, Regulus."

Regulus sighed, visibly irritated, frowning at her. "What is wrong with you?"

"There's too many things to list, isn't there?" She replied with a sardonic smile.

Her best friend stood up, walked over to her and attempted to take the locket away, only to have his hands slapped away.

"Don't touch me."

"I won't touch you, give me the locket."

"No, why would I? It's safe with me." He kept trying to take it away from her but she wouldn't let him.

"The locket is doing this to you, Juliet, we should've read more on Horcruxes before doing this."

"Not that it would change anything." She sassed.

"Give me the locket." The boy ordered, reaching once more.

"No!" She pushed him away.

"What is wrong with you!? Why don't you trust me?"

"Why should I trust you?! Look at your arm! Huge red flag!" Juliet pointed at the Dark Mark that could now be slightly seen, as their agitated bickering caused his sleeve to move up.

The House of Black's youngest froze for a few seconds, eyes staring into an empty space, before he composed himself, fixing his sleeve and staring at the girl.

He knew Juliet would never say something like that. She would never. About the arm. She would totally go on about what's considered a red flag. What did she even mean by red flag?

"I'm going to take this." He managed to snatch the locket, fighting off her fierce resistance. "And you can point your wand at me for as long as you wish if that makes you feel better. But this is ruining you for now, so let's keep on switching turns on whose keeping it."

She stared at him, then slowly nodded, glaring at his every movement as he went to lay down. Juliet kept an eye on him as she went to brew yet another potion.

If spells weren't going to work, they had to try potions. Problem being that every single dangerous and destructive potion takes a very long time to brew. Time they did not have, or if they did, it's still not to their advantage.

Juliet and Regulus had to get rid off the Horcrux as fast as possible. Both wished Pandora and Amos had been there. The Ravenclaw was pretty much a spells genius, she could probably make her own to destroy it, and Amos would have been able to discard any trace of animosity and tension.

He would have encouraged them to keep going, he would have unconsciously suggested amazing ideas from which Pandora would make out a solution. Juliet was the one who'd act upon it, she wasn't scared of consequences, she wouldn't be held back by the constant "what if"'s that Pandora couldn't help but overthink.

Regulus was clever. When it came to tough decisions, he was quick to come up with an acceptable option or resolution while the other three would ponder on everything for a long moment, indecisive and unsure. Not Regulus, he always seemed to know what he wanted, what he was doing, what he stood by and who he was.

They were a great team just like that. Each of them had something the others lacked and all completed each other. It was their first time to be divided in such a tense situation, and it was definitely nerve-wracking.

They needed each other.

Juliet wanted to see Pandora and Amos and get their help to destroy the Horcrux. She wanted to see James and tell him everything their parents kept hidden up until they were in their deathbed.

More than anything, she wished to be with Remus, so he could silently hold her as a sign that everything would be okay.

It really wasn't, they were in the middle of nowhere, exposed despite hidden by a multitude of spells, and the horcrux of a Dark wizard that apparently doesn't want to be destroyed. A war had started. It was the calm period for now, all parties watching one another, attempting to get signs of which was to attack first.

Who was to die and who would be brave enough to fight.

Juliet was a seventeen year old cursed to be a key to end the war, and if she was to fail, her own blood was to end it in her place.

She couldn't let that happen. That was not a world that she wanted James' or her own future children to see.

It was a nightmare that all wished would come to an end.

* * *

happy halloween!!