31. JULIET AND REGULUS' MEMORIES

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉* * *

August 1978

Night terrors for Juliet were getting lesser and lesser. It was as though being surrounded by so many kids helped her find some joy in life.

Those kids didn't know much about the terrible world that was building up out there. They were just worried about not getting scolded by their mother for eating cookies with unwashed hands.

Juliet was impatiently waiting for the South Asia group to return, so she could at least know that her brother was safe. She was feeling lighter and stronger. Talking about her issues did help. Crying about the horrors of her life did help. She didn't always have to push everything and everyone away.

Juliet was learning how to ask for help. That was more important than any spell she was attempting to memorize.

On that note, Regulus, Daphne, and she had been practising the Patronus Charm. Andromeda would visit, and she coached them. In her latest attempt, she was the closest to the physical form of her patronus. Daphne had succeeded way before the two best friends, and it seemed Regulus was having a lot of difficulties.

And it was frustrating.

"Regulus, go outside," Juliet commanded.

The black-haired boy turned to glare at her, but once he saw her pointing at the children hiding behind her, looking confused, he sighed and obeyed.

"Is he okay?" Charlie asked.

"Yes, honey, he's fine. Go play with your brother." Juliet reassured them before she walked out.

Outside, Regulus was standing a few feet away from the door, staring into the distance.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" She approached.

"Why is it so hard for me to simply execute a spell?" He sighed, turning to look at her.

"I don't think the execution is your problem."

"If you're trying to call me a loser, I'm hexing you."

"You hex me, and I'll throw Molly's pumpkin pie at your head."

They both chuckled.

"She'll kill you."

"I know." She paused. "But that wasn't what I was trying to say."

"No?"

Juliet shook her head. "I... think you don't have memories that are happy enough."

Regulus froze. "Oh."

He took a moment to contemplate that. It's true. What had he been thinking about when trying to cast the spell anyway? He didn't have happy memories with his parents.