68. JULIET AND ALL THAT YOU LEAVE BEHIND

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉* * *

December, the 1st, 1979

Juliet was not able to talk at all. She felt  constant lump in her throat as she tightly held on the carrier in which her baby laid. Romy was wide awake and staring up at the sky, and she had no idea that her parents may never come home.

When they arrived at the Tonks' house, the young parents were absolutely devastated. They exchanged a glance, as if secretly wishing the other would suggest the three of them ran away right then and there but they couldn't. They had to make the world better for their baby.

Andromeda didn't need to ask them how they felt when she opened the door to let them in, she herself was anxious of her husband losing his life in the battle, but she couldn't let it show because Nymphadora had already gotten a sense that something bad was happening, and she didn't need to know the details.

"Don't worry, she will be in good hands until you come back. Does she still have the same feeding hours?"

If we come back. Juliet wanted to say.

"Uh, no, we switched from every three hours to every four hours. We fed and changed her just before we left, so you're good for another three."

"Alright." Andromeda went to put away Romy's milk that Remus held out for her to grab, as Juliet kneeled in front of the carrier.

The scenario felt like deja-vu. Her baby was only almost four months old and she had already said goodbye to her too many times. Was she really a good mother if she kept leaving her behind like this?

Was she deluding herself, thinking that her going to war was the best decision for Romy?

Romy could grow up and hate her for never coming back. She could grow up and think that her mother should have stayed with her, because she needed her.

After all, Juliet knew a whole lot about mothers that were needed on the battlefield but also at home.

"Baby. We can't stall." Remus sighed, not wanting to leave either.

"I know." She whispered before kissing Romy's head, getting teary-eyed. "You are so loved Romy."

Juliet got up, allowing her boyfriend to have his moment with their baby, and went to Andromeda that was giving them as much privacy as she could, standing a few feet away in the open kitchen.

"I need you to do something for me." Juliet admitted to Andromeda.

"What is it?"

The younger woman held out a letter for the older one to take.

"To give it to her. When she's a bit older, you know, and starts asking questions."

Andromeda looked at Juliet worriedly, about to protest and refuse.

"Just in case." She added.

That small added statement did appease her a bit. Juliet was probably prepared for the worst case scenarios, and not just expecting the actual worse thing to happen.

~

The atmosphere at Hogwarts was almost eery. The castle no longer felt like a school that's used to having laughing kids running around in its corridors. It looked like it had been fed off death for centuries before, and it was getting ready to be fed again.

The fantasy had turned into a nightmare.

It was silent. Mostly because Juliet and Remus were the first to arrive, not including Tonks who went with them and the Professors that had already been there.

There were no children in the castle. They were sent home the night prior. The Order agreed that they would keep them out of the battle, even though they knew that that move was going to cause the Death Eaters to arrive in a few hours time, they were willing to risk it. They would use that time when the information is being taken to Voldemort to destroy his Horcruxes in the Chamber of Secrets.

"What did you put in the letter?" Remus asked Juliet.

They were sat on the stairs near the entrance. The others were supposed to arrive soon, James was given the responsibility to come with the Horcrux.

"A lot of things." Juliet looked at him with a small smile.

He raised a playful eyebrow at her. "Okay, how many pages?"

"... Eight."

"Oh my God."

"Double sided."

"Juliet." Remus laughed in disbelief.

"Don't laugh! It's the perfect amount. I'm sure she'd appreciate that it's not three lines."

"She would appreciate it either way. What did you say?"

She shrugged. "That she's loved. I told her about us, about you, and me, and I wrote some things that are specific instructions and tips for specific moments in her life."

"That is a very Mia move."

Juliet paused. "Blimey! It is. Have I become my mother!?"

Remus laughed, and Juliet smiled. She let her head fall on his shoulder and they relaxed in their small embrace.

"Promise me she won't need that letter." He told her, pulling away a bit, to caress her cheek.

"Only if you promise too."

Neither of them did.

~

Meeting again with all of their friends was not as cheerful as they all wished it to be. Barely had they greeted each other, that Juliet knew she had to interrupt, though she hated it.

"Friends and members of the Order." She called loudly, attracting all attention to her slowly. "I wished we were to meet in better circumstances. I cannot thank you enough for the sacrifice you are willing to make, and the loved ones you have left behind."

She observed how many of the faces turned sour, just like her own, but she shook her head, regaining her confident expression. "This is a war that has lasted long enough. It is up to us to put an end to it, and we are more than capable to do so. Let's put an end to the tyranny."

James couldn't help bit cheer, others following after. Juliet's "pep talk" was short and stern, but it was enough to wash away the doubts that all were sensing.

"Students in the hall! Students in the hall!" Argus Filch yelled, running out through the entrance doors.

"What!?" Juliet exclaimed, frowning.

"They can't possibly be, we sent them home last night." McGonagall frowned.

Juliet reciprocated the frown on the Professor's face and accompanied by most of her companions, she made her way to the hall, following after Filch.

* * *

oooooo finally war chapters !!