Chapter 16: W

❖~~~~~~~~❖⟡❖~~~~~~~~❖

The blazing fires crackled wildly, the rubble of buildings gradually being added to. Dust filled the air, dancing with the moonlight. Distant screams and pleas echoed throughout the air to find no answer. Yet here the two of you stood, the atmosphere palpable and tense.

"Do I know you?" You asked heavily, your voice slow and firm. The unknown man's smile grew tenfold, before reaching inside his coat pocket and revealing a large bowie knife. It shined against the flames menacingly as it twirled around in his fingers.

"You really don't remember me?" He mocked a large frown, running his pointer finger on the blade's edge. "I thought we had an excellent connection."

You racked your brain for any semblance of what this man meant with his illusive wordplay before it hit you like a freight train.

"There's quite a hefty reward for taking you in, ya know." The mysterious man said, twirling a knife in his hand. "100,000 yen reward for just information on you. What did you get yourself into kid? Who wants you soooo badly?" 

You grit your teeth harshly, stomping forwards with fists clenched. He merely looked amused, like playing with a child's toy. You reared back a mighty punch as soon as you were in range, ready to turn this man's head into a flattened pancake.

"Let's not be hasty now," he scolded from behind you. Your neck snapped to the source of the voice only to find open air here as well. Looking further, the man was leaning nonchalantly on the turned Nomu you had yet to give orders yet. It merely stood there stagnant, becoming the man's personnel armrest.

"Y'know, you really are different from the last time I met you. A poor, scrawny little boy. But look at you now! All grown up and strong! Even your parasite has grown as well." He added, rapping his knuckles on the beast's forearm. His words constantly fluctuated to higher and lower pitches, almost like how a dad congratulates his son on getting a participation trophy.

This patronizing bastard.

"Listen here, shitstain," you growled, the Nomu's parasitic head now crooked to the man below it. "You either get the hell out of here now or I rip that stupid grin right off your face and stick it up your-"

"Wow! Feisty aren't we? Look, I don't have much time," He explained, effortlessly dodging a swipe from the Nomu. "Seven minutes. Seven minutes is all I can spare to play with you."

"Fine then!" You yelled, charging at the mysterious man in sync with the Nomu. Even with the barrage of fists and kicks, his body swayed like the wind, no attacks making their mark. He was moving fast. Too fast for normal human reflexes. He was like a blur, and with a single punch to your nose, you were staggered backward.

"Maybe I expected too much of you," He said cooly, repositioning his glasses. The Nomu had come to your aid and lifted you up, it's life a mere meat shield now. You had no idea what this man was hiding up his sleeves. "Poor performance Indeed." A thought seemed to strike him, and he pointed a finger at himself before laughing.

"Oh my, how careless of me! I haven't even introduced myself after all these years!" He remarked. His fingers clasped around the edge of his glasses, taking them off slowly and meticulously. When his eyes slid from the ground to your eyes, you felt your body go cold. 

His eyes pierced your very being. Pure hatred and malice seemed to flow from his sockets, causing a cold sweat to trickle down your back. Even the Nomu seemed unsettled, its fingers visibly twitching. They glowed a blood red against the blazes, his pupil's mere slits like a cat. 

"The name is Wesker. Albert Wesker."

"Y'know, I once worked for Umbrella, just like you have," he stated, putting his glasses back after wiping the ash from the lenses. "But then I realized something: I could become so much more without them. They were a stepping stone in my journey to greatness. I see the same thing in you that I saw in myself: That fire. That ache. That want to become something greater and stronger."