Chapter 18: Life's a Ticking Time Bomb

❖~~~~~~~~❖⟡❖~~~~~~~~❖

Raccoon City was usually such a wonderful place, a cosmopolitan center with many different sights and sounds. The buildings used to challenge the skies with their might, a small yet mighty industrialized powerhouse found deep in the Arklay Mountains The roads leading into the city were always cleaned and newly paved every so often to preserve that "new city shine".

Said aforementioned streets were currently being utilized as a mixture of a junkyard of decrepit automobiles and a mass grave. Lifeless bodies littered corners and sidewalks...and those bodies which moved...did not truly have life, their ghastly groans and sunken eyes were incentive enough to explain how they were no longer on par with the living.

On one of these streets, surrounded by dried liquids of unknown origin and crackling flames, sat a lone manhole cover snug between that new city shine. Soft, echoed thumping could be heard below it, one or two lone zombies glancing over at it questioningly before getting back to eating their fill of humans. They munched happily if that was even possible for zombies when an audible "ow" arose from the closed cover. Following an audible pop, a familiar head of hair emerged from his wastewater confines.

"And you mentioned this to me now why?" You growled, the rest of your figure wrapped in the familiar elastic black body suit cropping up from the grate in a disorderly manner. The notorious blonde-haired Wesker popped out promptly after, dusting himself off as he gazed out into the crippled street.

"Because..." He drawled, gazing up into the smoggy sky as if it would finish his statement. "Because things happen to heroes out of the blue, and you, as a hero, must be ready to face these...unexpected circumstances."

"Wesker...we are talking about a city...blowing up. Kapoosh." You exaggerated with a wave of your hands.

"Listen here," Wesker commanded, breaking you away from your escapades. "Why do you think we haven't seen any forms of life other than those undead freaks? This whole city has been quarantined. No heroes in, nobody out. The government has already decided they could get all the people out that they could, and now they're planning on making this place look like where the asteroid killed the dinosaurs."

Wesker's conclusion did seem correct. No heroes or any leading lights were here to save the day.

"Umbrella's got what they needed. Now they got the government between the fingers cleaning up their work. In this case, it means the destruction of Raccoon City."

"There's got to still be survivors here," You spoke breathlessly. "And Umbrella has left them here all to die."

"Precisely," remarked Wesker. "Which is why I've created another masterpiece of a plan for you to follow."

"Oh boy..."

"Your next hero mission!" Wesker shouted, a pointer finger held high in the air. "Is for you to find as many people as possible and bring them to the safe zone where we originally landed. There should be a boat situated there near the docks. If we want to get out of the radius of that thing, we need to leave an hour early, which leaves you with very little time to spare."

"Well, get to it!" With a hefty slap to your back, you were sent forward before you unexpectedly bit back the urge to regurgitate your lunch.

"Wesker...what was in that needle?" You asked through strained breaths.

"Hmm..." he lowered his glasses to scan over your body with orange orbs. "That really must not be taking a liking to your body. No matter, hop to it."

Wiping the sudden sweat from your forehead, you nodded. There were people that needed you, no time for complaining. Dashing down the street, you began to devise a plan that would hopefully save as many lives as possible.